1925 Touring -- Stalling in Neutral

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1925 Touring -- Stalling in Neutral
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davey Jules on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Quick question..

I've been restoring a 1925 Touring with lots of help and advice from the forum. This is my first T.

I finally have the car running. (Engine runs smooth after grinding valves, fixing manifold gaskets, replacing points and condenser)

Here is my question: whenever I shift into neutral, the car stalls. It does this abruptly. It doesn't sputter and slowly die, it just drops dead. Cold. This happens as soon as the emergency brake hits perpendicular, which is around the same time the clutch lever bolt begins to slide down the cam.

The car does not lunge or creep, even when I put the lever all the way forward.

How would you trouble shoot this?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Davey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Check and adjust this linkage first:

pic1

pic2

Welcome to the forum, please keep us posted on your progress! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

What does the wiring look like? Any chance you are getting some sort of a short in the wire to the coils? Does it happen on mag or on battery? When it shorts out, can you hear the coils buzz?

Silly question, I know, but electrical gremlins have plagued me in the past with other cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davey Jules on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Thanks, Mark. I will try this adjustment.

I thought free-neutral meant the car creeps forward in neutral?

Zachary, I have a Bosch 009 with a 12 V internally resisted coil. I'm all battery. As far as I know, the magneto is shot.

Thanks again for your kind suggestions.

Davey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Does it stall when you put it in neutral with the clutch pedal and the hand lever is forward? Since you mention points and condenser are you running a distributor. Sounds like you are shorting something out somehow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

You have to hold the clutch/low pedal in neutral when you release the hand brake, you are putting the car in high and it will kill it if you don't. Sounds like the car is running fine as long as the parking brake lever is pulled back, he may not quite understand the workings of the lever yet. Does not sound to be electrical to me. The other point might be, your engine speed is too slow and check your clutch adjustment as Mark suggested.
Free neutral means the car does not creep ahead. Generally I have found that because of cold oil between the steel clutch disk the T's want to creep a little till the oil is warmed up. some more then others, some less. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Davey,

You wrote:

The car does not lunge or creep, even when I put the lever all the way forward.

Where are your feet when you move the lever? Do you have a foot on any of the pedals? If so, which one(s), and how far down are the pedal(s)?

(Message edited by adave on November 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Neutral with the parking lever is when the lever is forward enough that the parking brakes are off but the bolt is still on the flat part of the cam. It should go into high when the bolt begins to go down the ramp. Try loosening the brakes so that they are applied when the hand lever is all the way back. Then, move the lever forward a few notches and while the bolt is still on the flat area, you will be in neutral. In the case of your car this might be a little bit back from perpendicular. The clutch lever should be in the same position when the low pedal is in neutral, about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch forward of the high gear position.

For adjustment of pedal, follow the instruction above for adjusting for a "free neutral".
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Could it be that the clutch lever bolt needs to be adjusted downward more? If holding the clutch pedal down part way with your foot provides neutral without stalling but pulling the lever back does not the clutch lever bolt needs to be adjusted down to get the necessary movement when it is moved over the cam. With the floorboards out and your foot on the clutch pedal holding it down to the point where you have neutral look at the position of the clutch lever bolt on the cam when you have the hand lever in the upright neutral position. It should be making contact with the cam at that point. I have 7 Model T's and they are all a bit different as far as the pedal and lever positions are concerned for neutral so you do have to play with things a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davey Jules on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:16 am:

Thank you for the kind replies.

I'll make recommended adjustments.

Norm, thanks, I'll check the brakes.

Mark, Dave-- I'll be sure to keep my foot on the clutch when moving the clutch lever. I probably should have known this.

Val- I'll have a look at the bolt.

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions and advice. I'll keep you posted.

Davey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:25 am:

I would think Dave Dufault hit it..that was my thought..I bet he didn't have his foot on the pedal holding it in nuetral while releasing the parking brake lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Davey,

Any progress you can share with us?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration