Can you powdercoat a gas tank?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can you powdercoat a gas tank?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Or is the heat process in powder coating hot enough that it will melt the solder on the bottom of the tank? How do you find a decent firm that will paint the tank the color to match your car? Obviously it is not black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

I don't know the composition of the solder Ford used but powder coating temperatures will melt most tin/lead solders in the 50/50 range. The higher the lead content, the higher the melting point. You'd have to be in the 5-20% tin range to be above PC temps.

I don't know of any "sane" person that would try to PC a used tank. I suppose it can be made safe but expect to pay more for flushing the tank and/or filling with nitrogen.

Why not just paint the tank with the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Unless it's a speedster, tanks never (well maybe 26-27 tanks in the cowl) painted to matched the car, they were galvanized. So for a tank in the car, the cold galvanized paint/coating sold by most places would be a close match to the original color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Read and understand the above. The early tanks were galvanized, but the later oval tanks were zinc, and it's rare to find one with good plating on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 07:11 am:

??? Zinc = Galvanize.

Dave wants the tank to match the car color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Be sure to use a paint that will not be affected by spilt gas. This was discussed on the forum previously if you want more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Rustolieum for me. Cheap, easy to apply, easy to touch up. The tank is hardly seen, seldom needs attention, and basically only you look at it when you put gas into it. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:50 am:

It will depend on the powder you use. We once had a job painting 1500 WOODEN toilet seats a day. That powder cured at around 115 Deg F. Most powder will melt the solder in the tank. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 09:18 am:

The tank is off my speedster. I took it to a radiator place to resolder he outlet. He obviously dropped the tank a couple of times due to the big dents, and put a lot of scratches on it. Not much I can do now except repaint it. It might even be worth it to get a new tank and paint that rather than trying to repaint or remove all the old paint and repaint it.

Besides I do not have painting skills and rustoleum just doesn't do it. You really need someone who knows how to mix paint and do it the correct way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration