What year did the coils move to the engine bay?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year did the coils move to the engine bay?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 02:41 am:

I'm trying to work out roughly what year range a T is? I have seen in the past but I can't view at the moment.
/
/
/
/
/
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 03:24 am:

More details? Is this the car you are trying to date? I can't quite tell from the photo, firewall and hood sills aren't shown clearly enough. The engine block appears to have a casting date on it which ended about 1922 on USA production. Canadian production I understand went a bit later.
In late July 1925 (did I get it right this time?!?), Ford began the 1926 model year production and the coil box was relocated onto the top of the motor instead of poking through the firewall like the previous sixteen plus years.
The firewall in your photo appears to be a wooden truck?

Also, for what it is worth? It looks like the head gasket is on upside-down. That usually results in rapid failure.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 03:35 am:

Thanks Wayne. Yes this is the actual car, I had the engine number written down but have misplaced it. I looked at the car a few months ago and took a couple of pics on my phone which is poor quality. They think it is a 1923 so maybe that is correct. Here is the other pic I took of the guards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 03:41 am:

Looks like a 1922 to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 07:16 am:

That's a low radiator/wood firewall combination typical of 1920-22 models. Prior to that the starter was not fitted. Later than that the firewall was steel and the high radiator was used.

That's how I remember them.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 07:47 am:

Engine block looks like it has the bolt boss on the back where the hogshead would bolt to it on a '26-27. The rest of the car looks earlier though.

Coilboxes moved to on top of the engine in the 26-27 cars with gas tanks in the cowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 11:36 am:

The wood firewall was used through early in the 1923 model year when the steel ones were introduced. And all 1923 open bodies were low cowl, same as 1915-22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Too bad we can't see the windscreen. 1922 straight up. 1923 leans back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Thanks guys, will post another pic if I get to view again. Sounds like 23 is feasible then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

And the engine serial number is ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 02:37 am:

I have misplaced the engine number at this stage

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration