Does This Happen To Anyone Else?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Does This Happen To Anyone Else?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

Two times this year, I have advertised parts in the Classifieds, and I have had "dead beat" buyers. The genuinely interested buyers (not scam artists) have corresponded with me and acted "hot to trot" to buy the parts, but despite communication efforts on my part, the buyers disappeared. A third buyer and his wife have health issues and I can understand his tardiness and I am being patient with him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

You occasionally get a few "window shoppers" ,but for the most part the people really want/need the part and will follow through. OT,I got some spam email from your address,you may want to run a virus scan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Hello Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

So far I haven't purchased parts from any forum member, but I can see it happening. My point of view is this...I never leave a person hanging, and to be fair, I don't expect to be left that way myself, its just common courtesy really. Sure there are extenuating circumstances but as a rule communication on both sides should be full, upfront and complete. If an item is to be purchased, prompt payment, prompt shipping and full communication throughout the whole process is the way to go. At least that is the way I would do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Terry,
Often, too often, couple of times in the last month!
Charles,
Exactly right on the mark, we all understand extenuating circumstances but some people seem to equate thinking " I want to buy this" with a statement out of their mouths of " I'll buy this and will be sending a check". Perhaps they get carried away with enthusiasm and speak beyond their ability. I am sure we all have done that. What kind of gets my goat is they cannot man up and let me know they cannot complete the transaction. They just don't follow thru and thus leave me hanging.
To twist a famous quote... common courtesy sometimes seems like an uncommon virtue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

And thus this is why I amazed at people that send parts without payment out of goodwill. Yes, both parties should be on the straight and level, but far to often I have received parts and make the comment to myself that if I was a bad guy, I could just not pay for this--or lie and say it never showed up.

I recently placed a wanted ad, found a seller, worked the details out and he sent the part unbeknownst to me. Mean while I had come up with I thought another solution. I notified the seller ASAP only to find he shipped the part. I paid him any how (it was my fault), and as I found out later I still needed the part anyway. So all was good in the end. In fact I ended up buying more after that sale. Great guy to deal with--as are most here.

Most of us here are honest, and I hate to see anyone get taken. This is the modern age though, and bad things happen. I will continue to send my money and then expect parts to get shipped. If I am in that much of a hurry, I will talk to the seller on the phone. And yes, man up if you can not complete the transaction. There may be another buyer waiting for the same part and you could be holding up a good sale by not communicating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

Any attempt to purchase parts is relationship.
The ads that are posted are never complete and follow communication is required. The big problem is $$$ , and the high cost of shipping.
I just purchased a KRW combo machine in NC and the shipping and handling charges were as much as the item.
Ebay charges about 16% if you include all fees and charges, if within the state add sales tax.

I enjoy dealing with the T people. They are for the most part a great group of ADULTS with a GREAT hobby. It can be challenging to complete deals when they are far away and shippers, agents are required.

Best advice is to treat every transaction as experience.

Some are good others GREAT and some are#&^%$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Terry
I am sorry to say that "dead beat" buyers are prolific.

I do a bit with Craigs list to get ride of extra stuff.
Sometimes it is free - sometimes it costs.

I have been burnt by people a few times.
They say that they want something, I put it on hold for them, and they don't follow thru.

Even worse are people that want me to hold something that I am giving away.
So I now I say first come first served and stick to it.
A few weeks ago I gave away a cat tower/condo and two people wanted me to deliver it.

The only thing I can say is that many People are self centered and expect others to cater to them.

I expect that most of the people on this forum have a level of decency, personal responsibility, and integrity that the rest of the people do not have.
The forum people do not fit the mold of modern people and that it what I like.
It it too bad that a few bad apples exist but we seem to be find out who they are and they leave.
When we stop protecting ourselves ourselves we will be no better than them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

I avoid this problem altogether. I never sell anything. I have the original junk I started with plus what I've accumulated over the years. It drives my son nuts. "Dad, you need to get rid of all this crap!!" I reply, "What crap?" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Henry, That's exactly what my wife tells me, and just as soon as I complete both of my projects and know what is surplus, I'm going to have an auction and clear the two rental storage places that are costing me my retirement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

I have advertised and sold several parts. No deadbeats so far. Layden and some other members have sold several nice parts to me. Again zero problems!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration