OT but of interest. New parts shipping cost

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT but of interest. New parts shipping cost
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

I just put together a list of parts to order. Most are small and light. However, shipping cost is based on total parts cost. I am just sick over it. I want to spend around 523.00 and the shipping is just over 70.00. That is for slow mail.

I'm sure there is no way around this, but does anyone have a less costly means of shipping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

With no real information to go on, can't be much help. From whom and what parts will you need shipped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Try Lang's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Call the supplier and ask if you can just pay the actual shipping. One of suppliers used to be notorious for their flat rates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

Tyrone, is this Lang's? If so, read below. There is not a lot that can be concluded from your statement. But I will add this.

A few years ago, I was putting a parts list together that was about $600. It was for Lang's. I noticed in their catalog they had prequoted shipping costs---I do believe they were based on total price of the order. Shipping would have been about the same as you I believe. I called them and placed the order and because I am close enough to drive there (less than 3 hours), I was going to make the trip vs. paying the shipping.

I discussed my dilemma with them, and was told that shipping would not likely be near that much, and yes, what was in the catalog was a very rough guide. They said they would call me back with a total shipping cost then I could decide what I wanted to do. In the end I think shipping ended up being like $20-25 dollars, so I obviously had them ship it.

I think all the vendors with exception of Mac's or Snyder's would be willing to give you an accurate shipping costs before shipment if you give them the chance. Call whom ever it is and discuss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Chat, I did not want to say the company because I did not think it would matter regarding freight cost. In this case it is Synder. I don't hold anything against them, assuming the cost is the cost.

I have not received a Lang's catalogs in a long time and thus do not keep them in mind. I will now look for them on the net. I also believe you guys have a good idea as to calling them and asking the true freight cost as apposed to guessing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

SO I just compared part prices between Snyders and Langs on some of the higher cost items. I know Mac's is high. I hate to say, but the high cost of freight is as much or cheaper than the cost difference. So I guess I just solved my own problem. Sorry I bothered you all. But good post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

I agree. Try Lang's.
They find the best way to ship things.

Just ask for a catalog they will send it or use their online catalog.

If you gave a question one of the guys will help you but Ashley is a joy to talk with.

Sometimes you even get to talk with Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

My experience with Lang's and several other dealers has been that they sent small things in small packages at the lowest rate available, usually USPS. There's no reason to put up with an outfit that sends tiny items in big boxes, sticks to an overcharging "formula", and ships everything by the most expensive carrier.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on November 06, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 12:05 am:

If you buy the parts from Snyder the shipping will be overpriced. The same order from Chaffins or Langs will be more reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 12:51 am:

Shipping can be affected by shape too, especially with dimensional weight. If you try to ship something long and skinny and a second item that is rectangular with dimensions over a foot or so.
Usually Priority Mail is the most cost-effective way to ship but the shape the the required box (or boxes) can have a HUGE effect on shipping cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:17 am:

Don't blame the vendor for the cost of shipping...additional packing charges yes, but not the shipping charge, they don't set the price. Postal and shipping rates vary from location to location so I can't understand how most of you can be at different areas of the country and think the cost is going to be the same from the vendor. When you go to the lumber yard and ask for delivery the first thing they ask is where are you located and then look at the zone chart and charge you for the distance traveled. Ever ride in a taxi? They don't have one charge for going everywhere. If you think the postage is too high calculate what it would cost you to drive over and back to the vendor. I'll bet the postage doesn't look so high after all.

I don't work for any vendor or delivery service.

done venting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:20 am:

PS

The above posting is not pointed at any one forum member...after posting it sounded like I was picking on a fellow member. Not so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:40 am:

My complaint is about the companies (and some not related to Model T), that put a shipping charge onto the order based upon the total cost of the order. i.e. a signed original letter by Henry Ford, perhaps valued at thousands of dollars will incur a hefty shipping charge which bears absolutely no relation to the size nor weight of the package.

Some companies do actually weigh the finished package and charge accordingly, although not all do so.

Consider asking the vendor policy when ordering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:56 am:

It has been awhile since I've ordered anything from anyone but I will say this in defense of Snyder's. I work for a major air freight company and get 75% off shipping so I asked Snyder's to send it on my account. They agreed. All they charged was $3 for the box and packing which I thought more than fair as that stuff isn't free. I'm guessing if you give them a shipping account they would honor the same for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Lang's ships actual cost. I use to buy everything from Snyders, but changed to Langs after Snyders charged me fourteen dollars to ship one Anderson timer. At the time I could have gotten the timer from the manufacturer with no shipping costs, but as I liked Snyders and was getting everything from them, I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable shipping charge. When I called to complain, I was told their policy was a minimum shipping charge of $14.00 at the time, and they were sticking to it. My next order I called Lang's and got a hold of Trish, she assured me that Lang's only charged actual shipping costs. I have been dealing with them ever since. 100% satisfied with Lang's service

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Snyder's has a box at the end of the order where you can ask for the method you would prefer your items shipped. They have always followed my request which is usually USPS flat rate boxes if possible. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 09:14 am:

We also only charge 2.00 over actual just to cover supplies, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Try me, I don't charge, but actual postage and if it fits in a flat rate, that is what I charge no more. I actually get discount with USPS so it is less than there posted rate. I don't have a fancy website, but I should. I have low overhead and my retail prices reflect that. Feel free to email me for a price quote; alosoatq.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 10:42 am:

You are right, shipping costs have gone sky high. We try to ship as much as possible USPO Flat Rate but the PO is notorious for loosing shipments Large boxes have to go UPS or Fed x. Their rates are even higher but more reliable. UPS just notified us that they are raisin their rates again. We pay for all shipping supplies and boxes and do not pass that on to the customer. Chaffin's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Next week I'll be shipping the seat bottom springs to Classtique for re-upholstering for Clarabelle, my '13 Touring. I'm dreading what it's gonna cost me. And of course, both ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

If you are not happy with the shipping rates now, just wait. Search 2016 shipping rate increase and see what you find. If you want stuff, better order it now. Read what Glen wrote Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

I've been charged actual shipping by Langs, Bobs, Chaffins, and Smith and Jones. In one instance I was in dire need of some carb gaskets and Smith and Jones sent them to me in a small padded envelope for less than a dollar shipping!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Let's look at the affect of poor delivery of goods.
It can be cost or the actual physical delivery and goes beyond a few parts for a model T

In my opinion low cost and fast delivery of quality products separates societies.
One of the strengths of the U.S. has been our ability ship things in expensively and quickly, but it is beginning to fall apart.

In parts of China I order something in the morning and it will be delivered that afternoon.
I got a small MP3 player that way.
I order a Big Mac and fries for lunch and 15 minutes later it shows up at the gate.

Fast delivery at low cost makes it easy. This includes parts for machinery so production lines can run, etc.

In the U.S. We order stuff from Amazon and get it in a few days but that is going away.
The PO and FED EX got together and screwed thing up.
Other services are going down hill.

Much of our business success depends upon our ability to receive and ship things quickly and efficiently.

If you want to screw up the economy screw up the delivery system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

You guys have it made. I can't get any decent sized parcel for under US$50, about A$70. But it is a loooong way to South Australia.
My main problem is the overpackaging. I ordered a set of triple gear pins for just a once-off job. Snyders sent them to me in a 12" square x 6" deep carton, stuffed with craft paper to stop them rattling around. The problem was, they sent a steering column bracket, having miss picked the item. I sent it back in a padded bag which had already been across the Pacific from the USA. Guess how the replacement triple gear pins came.
Their answer was they might have been damaged if they just used a padded bag!!
I have no problems with Snyders prompt service, keen pricing, active resolution of any problems and their help with credit charge transactions. I was even able to make payments to another customer's account for some wonderful assistance he gave me when I bought my 27 Tudor in USA.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration