Long Time Member Passed Away

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Long Time Member Passed Away
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Donald Foye of Middleboro passed away yesterday at the age of 90. Don began restoring T's in the 50's when is was a novelty of sorts to actually restore a used up car. He became an active member of South Shore Antique Auto Club, and served as the clubs president. He was the 2nd president in 1969 of the Old Colony Model T Club in Massachusetts where he was a member from the clubs beginning in 1968 right through to his passing in 2015. He was given title of 'Honorary Member" recently from the Board of Directors. He attended countless national tours with the MTFCA and met members from all over the country. He restored Model T's in his garage for decades and put dozens and dozens of Model T's back on the road. His First family T was a 21 Touring, then his beloved 13 touring, which took his family across the US. Driving it from Massachusetts to Niagara Falls, Chicago, Canada -not trailing it. He had that car for over 30 years, then moved on to his late 11/ early 12 touring which he continued to tour the country in for the next 30 years. If you knew Donald and Doris, and have a nice memory to share, I'd appreciate it. Always nice to hear 'about the time'......

Thank you - Matt Foye

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

What a wonderful tribute, thank you for sharing. I pray for the family and the friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Matt. I am very sorry to learn about the passing of your dad.
My mom mentioned that she remembered seeing you and your siblings in your dad's car at various South Shore Club meetings.
I was in my dad's car at the same time but was not aware of things around me.
We probably waved at each other at one time so I'll give you a big wave as we remember our dads.
You can be proud of your dad and the things he did for the hobby in Massachusetts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Very sorry to hear this Matt. It is hard to lose your Dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:18 am:

Our sincerest condolences to you, your family, and his friends.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Sad for the loss, perhaps. Sounds to me like a live well lived. Does it get any better
than that ? I say it calls for a celebration and salute. Good on the old man ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Matt, Sorry to hear about the passing of your Dad.
I met Don and Doris on a Model T tour around 30 years ago up in New Hampshire. When I got my 1911,I went to his garage quite a few times looking at his 1911 T. I will never forget that he had a set of white tires on his 1911 that STAYED WHITE, not like these new white tires that you get now. He was a very nice and informative man. My thoughts are with you and the rest of your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Amara on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Matt, My fondest memory of Don was hearing his story from WWII at an Old Colony Meeting in Roger Peterson's barn. I cannot do that story justice in this space, but let me say it raised the hairs on my neck. In addition to being an ambassador for the Model T Hobby, Don was a survivor and war hero. My most cherished Model T photo, taken by our late friend Bob Scott, is of my then 9 year old son Andy and I outside your grandparent's house in Middleboro at their annual foliage tour. Maryann and I are very sorry for your loss. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Matt, my condolences to you and your family. He sounded like a great guy. No doubt you have lots of precious memories of him and trips in the T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:20 am:

I had the privilege of knowing Mr. Foye for 20 years through the Model T hobby. He was a great guy. After "Saving Private Ryan" came out, I learned of Sgt. Donald L. Foye's June, 1944 experience in Normany. After that I always thought of him as Mr. Foye as a way of paying the highest level of respect to him that I could.

Stephen Ambrose, author of "Citizen Soldiers" also thought very highly of him. When the paperback edition of the book appeared in 1998, Ambose added an additional chapter at the end entitled "Afterward". It is made up of letters that he received from veterans who had read the book. Mr. Foye's letter to Stephen Ambrose is the first one in the Afterword chapter.

We are diminished.

Conveying the highest respect possible, I submit this comment,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Sorry, Normandy.

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

My condolences to the Foye family. My thoughts and prayers are for you today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Sgt Foyes letter:
https://books.google.com/books?id=IUI76I0bjI0C&pg=PT487&lpg=PT487&dq=Sgt.+Donald +L.+Foye&source=bl&ots=3fcY1Jv2XR&sig=gAEJLktguZFTy39fXhYbKLs36f0&hl=en&sa=X&ved =0CCUQ6AEwAWoVChMIlOWJ7Pj-yAIVR_BjCh1g7ghP#v=onepage&q=Sgt.%20Donald%20L.%20Foye &f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Matt,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You have much to be proud of in how your Dad served our country. And we are also thankful for the great support he gave to our club and hobby. You and your extended family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Matt, Guys like your Dad is what made our country great!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Missett Wyoming, PA (NE) on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Matt, Very sorry for your loss. I have fond memories of visiting with Don at Hershey and made it a point to pay him a visit and pick his brain about the Model T since I was new to the hobby and Don was always willing to share his knowledge. I was a working UPS driver at the time (servicing a rural area ) and usually had a half dozen or so coil boxes to barter with come Hershey and never walked away from Don's vending spots without making a deal for a T accessory. I always looked forward to and enjoyed our conversations. Not sure Don remembered my name but always recognized me as Mr.UPS and of course would rag on me and beat me up for any issues he might have had with his MA shipments. I'm blown away by the posts above in regard to his service to our country and I echo what Don Corman said. "Guys like your Dad is what made our country great! " Rest in Peace Don Foye

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Thanks to all for the kind words and stories. Dick Missett, you made me laugh out loud and completely envision what you're saying. Thank you all again. We certainly appreciate everyone sharing good memories and kind words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Men like Mr. Foye, are the reason they were called "men of the greatest generation". How incredibly lucky us that came along later had men of his caliber to follow. I did not know Mr. Fote, but salute his courage and integrity and patriotism.

God Speed Mr, Foye,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Matt,

I did not know your dad but still, I read his letter, published in "Citizen Soldiers", with tears in my eyes. Your dad was the very definition of bravery. Folks today sometimes use the word "brave" to describe all manner of human actions. I tend to disagree with many things characterized today as "bravery". Instead, I think of the poor souls who stepped off the landing crafts on D-Day, into a hail of machine gun fire and shrapnel. Seeing their buddies fall around them, they still advanced. That is my definition of bravery. Your father, though I didn't know him, is a hero to me, and to our country.

May God Bless his eternal soul and may he rest in peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

When I was about 15, while visiting my grandparents, I was left at the house while the
rest of them went into town to run errands. The next door neighbor was a woodcarver
and I liked going over there to hang out and watch. On this particular morning, he was
on his front steps and I went over to talk with him. A couple same-aged birds walked
up the street and they exchanged familiar greetings. The women got off on a rant about
having a terrible day, but soon pressed on to wherever they were going. The old man
was kind of riled by them and gave me an earful about how some people will never know
a bad day in their life, have no right to use the term, and everyone is a bunch of whiners.

Being a stupid 15-year-old, I had no idea what he was raving about, so I asked what a
bad day looked like to him. That's when I got the story. Similar to Mr. Foyes', but over
on Omaha beach. It was an epiphanal moment for me. I have never seen life around me
the same since. It was why I ultimately had to go to AFG.

Most Americans live in a "Disneyland" fantasy world of pretty much carefree existence.
And any time we think life is getting rough, all we really need to do to find gratitude is put
ourselves on a landing craft at Normandy in the morning hours of 06 June, 1944 and every-
thing falls into perspective.

Matt, your old man was a true hero. The man had grit and I suspect a good outlook on
life and never taking anything for granted. He knew firsthand what a bad day was, and
earned the right to know what wasn't.

As I said above, ... sounds like a life well lived. I would find incredible gratitude in just
having known the man. Few are so lucky. Be proud.

Burger

"Duty above all else except Honor"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Klehfoth on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:49 am:

Matt--I've known your grandfather for a long time and it saddens me to hear of his passing. One of my favorite stories involved Don along with Roger Peterson and their newly invented Model T emergency brake. This new invention was hyped by Don and Roger for days and created much interest. Many gathered for the demonstration using Don's touring. With Don driving at a high rate of speed, and Roger in the backseat--at the precise moment, Roger throws out a parachute that was attached to the rear axle. Fortunately it didn't work too well or it might have pulled the axle out. However, the stunt garnered lots of laughs.
He will be missed.
Jay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Jay, we have a huge picture of that day and the parachute being tested hanging in the garage. There was a big turn out for that! Another great story was when he drove to a national tour and didn't latch the trailer hitch on the ball tightly. Everything arrived safely and the error was only discovered as he backed the car out of the trailer which was still attached to the motor home. Someone was using the bathroom inside the rear of the RV and was launched off the toilet as the weight of the car on the back of the trailer lifted up and released with a snap, the whole RV bounced up and down when the tongue finally fell off! I went on a national tour many years after this happened, and was greeted by someone there I never met who was still laughing about that story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Im very sorry for your loss! Was Dons car painted grey, perhaps twenty years ago? If so he may be the reason I love model ts. I was camping with my parents in vt where there were three ts touring out of the campground. A grey 14, A red 09, and a blue 11 or 12. I talked their ear off about the cars because I was about 11! I have to go through my parents slides to relive the wonderful memory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

The gray 14 is Dennis Foyes and he still has it. Loves going camping. Don was in the Blue 12, the red 09 probably (not positive) belonged to Roger Lee. I can't think of any one else who would have been with them that had an early car like that. Roger did have an early one but not sure if 09 or 10. Go to 1914 in the MTFCA picture section and you'll see Dennis and Kathy in the gray you mentioned. They were in Vermont in this photo about the time you're talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Matt

Roger Lee helped my Dad become involved with model T's.
I remember dad talking about Roger and my mom brought his name up many times during discussions before her death.

I wish I had paid more attention to these things when I was young.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Yup, that is the car I remember! Always nice to have long lasting memories that can bring so many people together! Is Denis an uncle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Donald was my Grandfather, everyone knew him as my father, I never corrected anyone. Dennis is my father, everyone (when we traveled) knew him as my brother. I didn't correct that either... Didn't much matter, we knew the difference...

Donald got a great parade of model T's to lead his procession. Exactly how he wanted it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Foye on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Tonight I sat with Doris (Gram) and read her all the above posts. She knew several people as soon as I began reading their post. She also commented on how nice and thoughtful it was for all these people to take time and effort to write these nice things about her husband. Thank you again. - Matt

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration