Toe in adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Toe in adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 05:43 am:

I noticed my tires are getting a sharp edge on then .Is there any way to adjust the toe in? Any tools that can be used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Sure. It's easy and you can use hand tools. Lift up the front axle, spin the front wheels and chalk a line in the thread on each - then you have something constant to measure between both in front and in the rear. If you have a tape measure you may need help, if you use a long stick you'll be able to do it yourself. The measure at half height of the wheel should be 3/16" to 1/4" more in the rear. If it needs adjusted, you can do that by loosening the tie rod from the spindle arm on the RH side, loosening the clamping force from the drag link ball nut and turning the threaded tie rod. Adjustments in full turns only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:34 am:

I clamp a couple of yard sticks together and measure the difference from the same point front to rear. Yes, the wishbone gets a bit in the way, but it works good enough. I've relieved a lot of improper toe in that way and cut the uneven wear down dramatically, not to mention the steering is much better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Measure from the inside of the felloe per Ford service manual, and one turn of the tie rod end equals one eigth of an inch in movement at the felloe. I just did this on my 24.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:51 am:

The measurement should be done with the wheels on the floor and the normal weight of the car on it. That way everything is as it would normally be while driving.

Here's what I do. I put a piece of tape on the front of each of the tires and make a mark on it. I put this mark at the point where a framing square touches the tire. Then I measure the distance between the marks. I roll the car the distance of one half turn of the wheels to the place that the marks are the same height at the back of the tire that they were in the front of the tire and measure the distance between the marks. They should be wider in back than in front. You can only adjust by one full turn of the tie rod. This is how I do it. I first adjust to the point the distance is same in front and in back, then lengthen the tie rod enough to be able to put in the bolt. That should be somewhere between 3/16" and 1/4" difference.

Also rotating the tires from time to time, will help you to wear more evenly.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration