? Late tranny on an early engine ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: ? Late tranny on an early engine ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Is it possible to put a 26/27 tranny and hogs head on a 24 engine? My engine is 9183221 and it has a 26/27 trans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

You'll need a four dip pan and they didn't start until late july at well over 10,xxx,xxx.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Tyrone, absolutely. the only difference besides the pedal spacing, would be no bosses on block to bolt top bosses on transmission cover to block, and better braking. My grandfather's 27 coupe had a 22 engine block for 50 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

I didn't think about the four dip pan, but wouldn't that be only for conveniently adjusting the bearings? The block and transmission cover holes in the two pans should be the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Tyrone, my 26 touring has the stock tranny with a 24 engine. Even though I was under the car 30 minutes ago I didn't count the dips on the pan. Roger is probably right, he usually is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Tyrone, trial fit the hogs head first to the block, I have had to dremel in front of the top holes to clear the block but then it will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

You will need a four dip pan. My 26 coupe has a 1919 engine but a 26/27 transmission.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

There is extra room in the rear of the pan on the four dips - you'll need it for clearance for the wide brake band. With the three dip you can also have the 26/27 trans, but only with an earlier hogshead and a narrow brake band.

The four dip is flimsier than the three dip, so without the two upper bolt connections to the block you'll really need the corner brackets Ford used as reinforcements those years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Thanks, Roger. I had a senior moment and forgot about the need for a four dip pan to clear the wide transmission band. My grandfather's 27 had a four dip pan and I forgot about the need for clearance. Sometime in the car's life between 1927 and 1951, when he last drove it, something failed in the block, probably bearings, he went to a wrecking yard and bought a used 22 short block and then assembled the engine with all the original 27 engine and transmission parts, except the 27 block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Long ago I had a T that had a wide drum trans in a three dip pan. You have to use the narrow drum hogshead and band, using only the front portion of the brake drum. The back of the drum was real close to the pan, but it worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Don't forget the two front floor boards will be different, as will the metal pedal surround plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

This engine was in a car I bought years ago and I'm just now taking apart. It does have the four dip pan, the newer hogshead and the wide brake drum. But the engine number indicates a 23-24? I was just wondering what the devil I should title it as. Its becoming a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 06:39 am:

You can use your a three dip pan if you use a narrow band on the brake. I ran a 17 engine like that for several years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Tyrone, my '25 coupe has a late transmission. The four dip pan was used along with the late hogshead. The pedals were swapped out for the early ones so the floor boards didn't have to be modified. Works out great. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Tyrone T,
I hear that Kansas is easier to get along with, but I have never tried them. In Califunny, you call that a roadster. They have a code for that, and don't care about the difference.

As far as mixing transmissions, and pans, and hogsheads, and drums, and clutches and?, and?, and? and?, and? There are so many combinations, so many that work fine, and a few that DO NOT! Like putting a late hogshead over an earlier transmission. The spacing is wrong and the earlier transmission drum is not large enough to accept the offset spacing.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration