Felloes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Felloes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Sorry to plow again through a well covered topic. When trying to understand the various rim & felloe combinations, I have gone through the previous posts, which cover the topic very well. But it seems to me that Ford did a less than optimal job of keeping this simple. Putting aside the various rim & lug types and looking at just the felloes, is there a short list of felloe types? I understand they were made by different manufacturers. Some of the manufacturers perhaps made the same design felloe, some made different. If one could know the felloe they are dealing with, then it may be a little easier to branch out to lug & rim type to understand what works and what does not.

The question is, in the 1919-1925 period, is there a short list of felloe types (as opposed to a list of manufacturers) with any distinguishing features?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

All the Model T wheel felloes through the end of 1917 model year were round, and made of wood. The square felloe was used in 1918 model year, and it was wood. All of the pre - 1919 wheels supplied by Ford were non - demountable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Perhaps we can start with identifying a single felloe. These photos show a felloe that has a cup to receive the stem from the rim, no notches at the lug locations, and a rolled outer flange. There are no raised areas on the ID for loose lugs to bank against.

1. Is it fixed lug or loose?
2. Manufacturer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Firestone rims have "tit" that fits that cup. There are no lugs on that type of rim. Look in the Service Bulletins, I think the info you want is in there. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 04:15 am:

Henry, can you post some pictures of the felloes at the lug bolt holes? In the bottom left picture, it looks like there is an indentation at the bolt hole on the outside edge of the felloe. If so, that may be a Hayes wheel for rims that have the lugs attached to them. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 07:36 am:

Close ups of the bolt holes. Thanks for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 09:28 am:

The square wood felloes mentioned by Royce continued into the twenties on cars that came without demountables.

I know the question is about felloe types and not manufacturers, but the details vary by manufacturer. Choosing my battles, I stick with just one. The easiest type to identify is Hayes.

The lugs on Hayes demountable rims extend back across the bead that seats against the felloe.

Hayes felloes have a notch for that lug to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Henry, I am not familiar with Firestone wheels, our Canadian sourced cars having Kelsey loose lug wheels. However, that cup around the valve stem hole is there to receive a similar but smaller cup on the rim. This is to stop the rim moving around the felloe, which, in turn, means the rim is a loose lug type that could move around the felloe without the stopping mechanism.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

If having the cup makes them loose lug, then how do the loose lugs fit in since the felloes do not have the step for clearance around the lug bolt hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:46 am:

There is about a 1/8" gap between the felloe and rim for that flange on the lug to fit into.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration