Question about welding....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about welding....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Is there any problem welding on the firewall near the magneto? I don't want to screw anything up with the mag. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Gas welding no problem.:-) Heli-arc (wire feed) keep your ground clamp as close to the area to be welded as possible TIG (tungsten inert gas) same as Heli-arc Would not try stick welding. I assume this is is pre 26 so no fuel tank in the vicinity :-) JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Wire welding, no gas tank near. Thanks G.R. it is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Wire welding, no gas tank around. I was concerned about the arc effecting the magnetics...Thanks G.R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I think I would more concerned about the fuel tank. That could end everything for you.
The mag has metal all around it shielding it. Pulling the wire off the mag post might be a good idea.
A better idea would be to pull the firewall off the car and fix it away from the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Willie, I wish I could pull the body but I barely have room in this barn to turn around. I may just say the heck with it. It has a split about 3/4" long on the floorboard lip. Thinking it may not be worth fixing for what little would be gained. :/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Diss is dat...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

A bit crowded in here..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

If it's that small and your plans have you doing a redo in the future drill a small 3/32" hole at the end of the crack. This may be all that's needed to stop it from cracking more. That is till you redo the whole car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Looking at that crack I agree with Jerome a small stop drill at the end of the crack would be the easiest repair. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Thanks guys. I had considered that also but if its safe to weld that close to the mag then I most likely will take that route and be done with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Hmm, fairly hi-stress area, think I'd fix it before proceeding further, but at least do what Jerome suggests.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

I wouldn't hesitate to weld that crack. Unless you accidently touch the mag post with your electrode, there is very little chance of damage to the mag. The Mag ring wouldn't care, the magnets wouldn't care, and any magnetic field created by the welder would likely be less than the magnetic field created by the starter motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Don, As a retired welder of 35 years, Since you have the gas tank removed,I would have no concerns about welding that crack. Now is the time to fix it. Just use normal safety precautions and I would put something over the engine just as a safety to the mag post stud, and stop the arc spatter from getting on other parts of the car. The arc from the welder is of no concern to the mag, unless you accidently struck a arc on the mag post wire stud. Have fun and be safe ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Thanks to all !! Its done, I found three cracks, two vertical and a 4 1/2" horizontal. So all three are fixed. I appreciate you guys answering my question, its nice to have reassurance before doing the task. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charlie hill on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:37 am:

gas welding is enough for small pieces. it is easy to fix auto parts. submerged arc welding is not applicable for this.
http://www.ylflux.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 04:18 am:

Charlie, (if that is your real name) who said anything about submerged arc welding?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 04:20 am:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'll be clicking on that link. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 05:09 am:

Uhhhhhhhhh----? Maybe I won't either?
I am always looking for ways to improve any of my skills, including my welding. But an unknown site from an unknown person with no introduction?
I do want this site to be open and welcoming to people with a real interest in model T Fords or antique automobiles in general. But salesmen (anti-PC alert!) just trolling for prospects would do better to show respect for information sites and not just view them as potential victims for their spamming.
If Charlie H is genuinely interested in model Ts? I would like to see him introduce himself and give us some of his background with antique cars. If he also has expertise to share about welding? I may have some questions for him myself. I was suspicious before I opened this thread because it came back to the top right alongside another new welding thread. Not normal procedure around here.
Enough said. Lets not drag this out. Let it go away unless Charlie wants to introduce himself properly. This thread and the other one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 06:12 am:

It is a Chinese high tech welding company. The website looks legit and Charlie Hill would appear to be their "hashtag" name. But, I don't think I'm going to need the submerged welding wire unless the great flood comes in to play.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration