Spark plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

what spark plug of the one's the vendors sell do you have the most luck with. motorcraft F11, autolite 3095 or champion 25 or the new champion X plug. Thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

I run champion X
Found the others foul way to much
I also had real good luck with 14mm adapters with long reach 405 Bosch plugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

I had good luck with Champion X's, but I like my Edison 14s even better! I got them from the gentleman on the card at the bottom of this post. :-)

plugs01 plugs02

card

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Edison's are my Spark Plug of choice, too!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 06:09 am:

I tried the new Champion X plugs, but went back to running my old vintage Varcon spark plugs. The Champions seemed to carbon foul too easily where the old Varcons stay clean. I don't know if they are a higher heat range or what, but gapped at .030 they continue to give me great service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 06:55 am:

Hi Guys,

I finally have some time to post on the forum. I'll try to catch up some replies and messages in the next few days.

I actually visited Donald McKinsey in IN on my recent trip to the USA. He's a good guy and quite a character; we went for a quick spin in an ex-patrol car he purchased at auction (like any true American he has a bunch of old cars scattered around his property) and he wanted to see how well it drives at 100mph...I was driving. Those old Crown Vics do go well.

Here's Donald:

Bad news is he has no more Edison 14 plugs.

Good news is he has many other NOS 1/2" plugs (and cores) for Ts and Models As, and almost every other old car you could think of.

I spent a lot of time with him looking at box after box of plugs, so I more or less saw all of his 1/2" pipe inventory. I kept a list of what I saw and also took photos, so contact me if you've after something specific.

Price wise he's not cheap but if you buy a set you can negotiate a reasonable deal...and remember that the newly made X plugs are now $35 each at Langs and Snyder's. Of course you can be lucky and find cheap NOS plugs at swap meets, estate sales or on ebay but often it's only one or two plugs, not a set or more.

The rare Edison 13 has been mentioned here before as another Edison 1/2" pipe plug, here it is:

This Edison 13 may fit but it doesn't look like it was made for a T. Donald has only this one.

I must say there's nothing like the smell of NOS plugs still in their original box; if only they could reproduce this smell in an after-shave and market it at old car guys...perhaps a business idea for the MTFCA or MTFCI ???

Here's some more NOS 1/2":

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Donald has these "AC 1075 for FORDS" plugs and cores available.

If there's a few of you on the forum that would like a set I could perhaps contact him and arrange a group discount (with no commission or money in it for me). Let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Motorcraft F11. I have put over 10,000 miles on my 14 over the past three summers, it runs perfect. I have run the F11 on my other T's for years, and have never had to touch them. I use to run the modern Champion X's and Champion A25's, I always had an occasional miss problem with them. I was going to switch to distributors on three of them because of this, someone suggested I use the F11's. End of problem, sold the distributors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:07 am:

I bought a couple of Champion H-14 primer plugs from him and his catalog is a good place to learn much about spark plugs!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:08 am:

Dan, interesting that you mention an occasional miss problem with the X's. I'm running X's on all my cars, but to this day, I'd swear that actually Christine, my '15 Touring, really doesn't like them. She runs good most of the time, but occasionally, like you said, I detect a miss or two. The coils are perfect, so it's not that. Maybe it's just because of her name?? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:22 am:

I recently picked up a set of unused Montgomery Ward #1 plugs on T-bay. The electrode design appears to be the same as the Champion X plugs. :-)

pic01

pic02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:41 am:

IMHO "Which plug?" Is like asking "Which oil?" Search the forum and some say Motorcraft F11 are junk while others, such as Dan (who I have no doubt is telling the truth), swear by them. If you're on a budget and/or aesthetics are not important, the Motorcraft are certainly worth a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:37 am:

I tried F-11's but they leaked around the porcelain .

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:46 am:

I run used Champion X plugs from eBay or swap meets . They are economical and as good as new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:53 am:

By the way, Donald does have many types of NOS 1/2" Champion plugs including these interesting long type "A-25 X" in which both the plugs and the boxes are marked with both "A25" and "X".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:57 am:

I've always used original Champion X plugs. They work well unless I don't have the collar tight enough on one of them. Then the collar works loose and you hear that telltale noise and you're running on three cylinders until you stop and fix it. Currently I'm running Autolite 3095 just to try them out. So far so good.

I think Constantine's observation is on the mark. Opinions on plug choices vary widely. I suspect there may be some post hoc ergo propter hoc at work there. The rooster crows and then the sun rises; therefore the rooster crowing caused the sun to rise. After the plugs were changed the car started or ran better; therefore the change of plugs caused the improvement. Maybe, or maybe some inadvertent other thing caused the change. Perhaps I'll switch back and forth between the different plugs several times to see if there's a consistent difference in performance.

Of course there's also the question of what's the proper gap. I believe Ford's "one thin dime" is .03125, and I've tried to stay close to that, but I've also been told that .025 is better. Maybe I should experiment with that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:13 am:

I have been running Wards plugs for a while, I would have to go out and look at the number. So far out of all the different brands of plugs I have run, I think they work the best. (champion X, 25, motorcraft)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:48 am:

I have Champion X's in my TT. I started it up and it runs good but I haven't driven it yet on the new rebuild. I was warned that a lot of the repro X's don't have continuity between the ends. These are the "brass hat" style. Sure enough, I checked my four new X's and only 3 had continuity. I then checked two old ones (not sure how old) and neither had continuity. I then checked 4 original X's with the Ford script and none of those had continuity. Out of curiosity, I took a less than perfect X with no continuity and broke the insulator off of it. The main electrode slides into a socket that is part of the brass hat. Even though it was slid in to the socket, there still was no continuity. I wiggled and twisted it in the socket and it finally did get continuity.

I know that the plugs without continuity do spark. They apparently jump the gap up in the brass hat socket. My concern is the energy that is lost in this extra jump. Would this make a noticeable difference in the running of the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:58 am:

I don't know what the issue with plugs is....I run just any old plug without problems. Perhaps it is because I have only distributors and not a bunch of cranky coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Uh-oh! ..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Justin - the extra gap makes the spark inside the cylinder even stronger, it forces the coil to give even more volts. That's a trick that's been used in accessories - but like all tricks there's a limit you shouldn't pass, forcing the coil to produce too high voltage may provoke it to spark through the insulation in the secondary coil and thus ruin the coil with a carbon trace inside that can't be removed. But the minimal distance inside the brass hat shouldn't be a problem - it's distances like in the accessory spark intesifiers that may burn the coil eventually. See this thread about the accessories: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/169396.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Mark Strange: >>>> I can attest to the quality & reliability of the Edison #14 plugs.... running them in my own '26, and also installed a NOS set in the '22 Touring at Edison's Glenmont garage. That '22 runs great, although it only gets some excercise runs at the St. Patrick's Day Parade in West Orange, NJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

The most interesting ones we recently sold at the Lau Garage Sale were the Firestone "Radioactive" Plugs! Never checked them with a Geiger counter, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Polonium has a half-life of 138 days, so whatever radioactive polonium was in those plugs is long gone by now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Replaced by lead? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Roger, thanks for the response and explanation. I feel better about my X's now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

I have a had good results with original coils and Firestone Polonium plugs. I like the way they glow in the dark!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Although Polonium is highly radioactive it puts out Alpha radiation, not Gamma or X-rays, so a standard Geiger counter would not detect it.

The other special thing about Polonium is that unlike Gamma or X-rays, which can pass through virtually anything, Polonium's Alpha radiation is very dense so it cannot penetrate even a sheet of paper. So Alpha particles are not a serious health hazard as they cannot pass through skin which means even when these plugs were new they'd be more or less safe to handle. BUT if ingested, even in the tiniest quantity, it will so badly damage internal organs that death is certain. A speck of polonium the size of the full stop at the end of this sentence contains a 1000+ times the lethal dose for humans. Mother was right to insist you wash your hands before dinner!

I've also heard only good reports about the Polonium Firestone. Don has both white (in two designs) and pink 1/2" plugs, NOS of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Whatever plug you use, I suggest that you experiment w/the gap.
Our '27 ran good on autolite 3095s w/the Ford recommended .032" gap. I read here on the forum that many Ts ran good at .025" gap. Tried .025" gap on our '27 and it fouled the plugs in about 10 miles. So went back to .032" gap.
Maybe different plugs need different gaps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

I've been looking for a set of Edisons or looking to build a set. I keep checking ebay and there are a lot on there but I haven't seen any 14s (I couldn't make it to Hershey this year). Any other ideas of where I could look? What could I expect to pay? I have a 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Maybe try putting a want ad here?

http://www.spcoa.net/

Maybe someone has a bunch in their collection and would part with a set. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Edison 14 are out there, I did see one NOS without box for $15 at Hershey. I suspect many are being hoarded by forum members!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Mark, Let us know how the Wards plugs run. They were mentioned here previously but didn't get a great review, see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/516502.html?1423529158

Donald has these also I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

My dad ran Champion A25 plugs in the Speedster back in the 60s and 70s. I found the set we had pulled out in 1979 for an engine rebuild in an old coffee can. Cleaned them up, gapped them at 0.030" and put them in the Rajo head. Runs great, no misses so far (back on the road for two years now). I bought a new set of A25 plugs to have some spares. Just for kicks, I gapped and put them in to try them out. Also ran great, no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Wish I could say more then; I haven't had any issues with the Wards. They run the car and seem to have good spark where needed. Even with the different carbs I have had on the motor seems to get around 15MPG range. My motor is in good shape so have not really had any fowling issues.
I have had OLD Champion X's in the past, they leaked (both where screwed in the the head and around the body) and were just worn out at the electrodes. The Motorcraft leaked around the body and base but ran ok. The Champion 25's back in the 90's, the top unscrewed from the body if the nut stuck and the engine I had them in (different engine) seemed to run cold.
Part of the story on plugs is; how worn out are they? If the electrodes are burn away, rounded over etc they will work but not as well. The spark likes to jump the gap between two sharp edges. Cleaning will bring that back but only for a short time. Finding the best gap and heat range takes some experimenting, there really isn't one size fits all. Just a base line, like gap, to start with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Thanks, Mark.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration