The Good Old Days

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Good Old Days
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

The good old days before they had front wheel brakes, safety belts and emissions tests.

Days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Drive it like you stole it!

Wait a minute, maybe......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Yee Haw!!!

Looks like an International Harvester

Good thing they have a spare, in case they get a, um, flat?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Interesting point about the spare wheel. Did those old high wheelers often break a wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

The reason they carry a spare if you get a flat those tires are so damn hard to inflate out on the road.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

A friend of mine owns one of them and took me for a ride in it. Let's just say that it wasn't real fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Steven, Laren?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Any time I take my TT out, I will look to the side and see how fast the world is going by.
Compared to a horse, it's pretty darned fast. And let's remember, up to this point in time,
horses were the fastest thing going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 12:07 am:

1913 or '14 IHC (International Harvester Co) MW (M for Motorwagon, W for water cooled motor). 1913 was the first year for IHC water cooled for the Motorwagon. Earlier years were all air cooled, and called MA (for Motorwagon Air-cooled). IHC did build a few conventional style automobiles at about that time. But they are rarely ever seen. I would have to do some research to give actual years and numbers. But gotta go.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:40 am:

There was one at Hershey this year:

ihc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Keith...you took the thought right outa my lame brain!! I think it is an Internatinal High Wheeler. Noticed it has an Ohio plate. I have a friend who owns two of them...be cool if this happens to be one of them. I don't think there's too many of 'em around. Looks like a rough bunch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:06 am:

I don't know why but my first impression of this photo is a movie still. Those guys sure aren't holding on for dear life at what? 6 or 7 MPH?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

I think the IHC logo half hidden by the license plate pretty well nails it down.

That is a great picture. The driver has that stupid "ripple on a slop bucket" grin on his face. I don't know what's in front of him but he is definitely going for broke. The other two guys aren't so sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Charlie, you beat me to it. I also think movie still, when I look at it. How fast must they be going to blow the top off the Auto Wagon :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

I know someone who owns an air cooled 1902 model. He drives it regularly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Dick - yep. Laren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

I saw an Autowagon at Harrah's swap meet back in 1970. I knew that when my ship came in that is what I wanted. I believe they wanted 1700.00 for it. Of course I only had 100.00 to my name. I have the 1700.00 now but I can not find one for that price. Built a T out of parts and enjoy it, but an Autowagon is still in my dreams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Here in Australia we have a "highwheeler register" we hold a national tour bi -annually. We were in South Australia last month for the latest event, there were about 25 cars in attendance, in total we probably did 250Km over the five days. once they are sorted mechanically they are fairly reliable.This is my 1908 IHC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

And they even have the steering column on the "right" side for y'all down under. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

that's because we drive on the "correct" side of the road:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

But Peter, even the Brits admit,
" A gentleman should not have to shift with his left hand"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

My favorite image of this year ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Years back We owned and toured a 1912 Reo 1 cylinder high wheeler 7 passenger bus. The term bone shaker comes to mind.

While driving down the road Candy was reading tour directions. She screamed at me to stop so she could read the street signs. At 10 mph it vibrated soo bad her eye lids were moving so fast she could not read the street signs.

Easy to start easy to steer and drive damn hard on the back and bones.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:54 am:

Aaron in the IHC you do shift with your right hand.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration