Ideas on dash lamp accessory

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ideas on dash lamp accessory
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Ok mounting this lamp and I want to stay with it because it matches the car and because I already drilled mounting holes. I know dumb move.
Using a tail light bulb, two prong, fits in that perfect. The problem is when I flip the switch I can hear/feel the prongs move so that they pop off the contacts on the bulb and then I can't move the lever back. I will use an ohm meter tomorrow to find out if it's on the off or the other way around.

So there a bulb that is flush on the bottom so that it will rotate freely?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 04:56 am:

I think you can sand off most of the contacts on the bottom of the bulb without destroying it - but consider it as an experiment :-)
A little dab of grease may also help?
Dielectric silicone based grease is used around high voltage, but at 6V ordinary grease should work, I think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Powell. Tasmania Australia on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 06:24 am:

I think that you would find that a single filament globe with single contact is the only appropriate way to make this work.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:16 am:

Some designs had a floating keyed insulated disk that separated the rotor from the bulb. It just had two copper rivets in it. The rotor made contact on one side and the bulb made contact with the rivets on the other side. The rotor didn't contact the bulb directly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:38 am:

I used to re-plate a lot of those dash lights and have seen a number of different designs. Even had to make switch stems, insulators and basically restore them before nickel plating. That's one of the reasons I don't do it any more. It wasn't hard to spend two hours making the switch work before getting to the actual plating task. And all for a few bucks for the plating.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration