Radiator Shell attachment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Radiator Shell attachment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

I've just received a new Brassworks radiator from Langs for our 1926 Touring car. With the radiator are two U-shaped brackets, two bolts, two captive nuts, and four odd shaped nails. I know these are to attach the shell to the radiator. On my old radiator these brackets were part of the radiator, how do you attach these brackets and what are the four odd nails for?

I've called Langs but havn't been able to get through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Those are pop-rivets used to install the bracket to the radiator, the bolts and nuts attach the radiator shield to the radiator, there are two larger holes in the shell that the bolts go through to connect it.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Rick - gotta' wonder why the factory doesn't just go ahead and attach those two brackets to the radiator instead of leaving that for the purchaser to do. I'm thinking that there's probably a good reason for this,......perhaps those brackets protrude enough to be too prone to damage in shipping, or, maybe they make it harder to "package" the new radiator for shipping in such a way as to protect the attached brackets. Maybe somebody from Breastworks will chime in here and explain,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Harold, I wondered about that too, I have done three so far, it's a pain but not hard, I screw the bracket to the shell and place it on the radiator and mark so I know where to drill those holes for the pop rivets, push too hard and the radiator will get a leak as there is not a lot of space.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Oh WOW! What a "typo"! BRASSWORKS, not Breastworks! Okay guys,......gimmie a break here,.......let that one slide,.....only had one cuppa' coffee this morning,.....maybe shoulda' had that second cup! Like Unca' Stan says,...."Poofreed, poofreed, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Rick - What you just said makes me think something else. Model T's, having the "individuality" that they have, maybe Brassworks (got it right this time) feels like the customer needs the ability to drill those holes for the pop rivets exactly where he needs them, instead of where the Brassworks thinks he needs them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Maybe only 26/27 uses the brackets while the same style high radiator is used '24-'27, so you can choose not to use them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

You have to have the brackets, I took a picture but it is 3.4 meg and I can't find a resizer program for windows 10, I checked on three "free " sites but it would cost $49.95 per year for updates, one site transfers you to India.
I checked on topics and it says there are no matches?

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Rick, just open the file in Paint and resize to a nice 400x600 and should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Here is the picture of the bracket mounting. I hope!bracket mount

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Jerome, thanks for the info!

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

All the high style radiators I have seen use them. I believe as Harold stated they don't come installed as every T is a little different. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

If you do not use those brackets the radiator shell will ride on the filler neck and that neck will eventually come off. In the last 5 years I have had to solder about 6 of them back on.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Is there enough room to use small screws with nuts instead of the pop rivets? Steven thank-you so much for the info on not using the brackets and the damage it causes to the neck. I was thinking of not using those brackets before but now changed my mind. Now I have to find them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking of going the small nuts and bolt method. I hate to admit it, but how do you install a pop rivet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Wayne, you need a special tool to install pop rivets, they are not expensive but if you only need to use it once it may be best to just use small bolts and lock nuts.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:03 am:

They already come attached on a Berg's radiator. Never had an issue with alignment - and have installed 3 Berg's radiators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:55 am:

The brackets supplied with the Brassworks radiator are NOT correct, as is the case with a lot of things they do. I had to get those brackets off of a junk radiator, and rivet them on myself. There are two tabs on that bracket that hold the square nut firmly in place while you hold the nut up against the bracket with your finger or something else. They prevent the nut from turning while you tighten the screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 03:47 am:

Wayne R., pop rivets are just plain WRONG on a T!!!! <g> JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 05:54 am:

Wayne, pop rivets may be wrong era on a T as David writes, but it's a great invention and in my opinion can be used if needed where it doesn't show or stick out, like in Fun Projects coil box repair kits. Here's a video that shows how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aoXmzdSf_I
You'll need a pop rivet gun.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration