Upholstery question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Upholstery question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

I am trying to do the upholstery in my '14 Runabout and am not sure of the placement of the seat back spring. Does anyone have a picture of the spring in place and how it is anchored?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Didn't you get some responses to this same question back in April of this year? :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/536862.html?1430258681

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Mark, Yes I did but they left me confused as some said there was no backrest spring but one is listed for the '14-'15 in the vendor catalogues. It looks way too flat without the spring so I am trying to get a feel for how it would be with the spring as opposed to leaving it out and supplementing the kit with more padding but I am not sure how the spring needs to be placed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Ford provided a cross section to show the springs in the front seat in 1914.

As you can see, there is no spring in either the front or rear seat back, as in earlier years.

To view the full sized image click here and scroll down to post #7:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/1119-Th-1914-Model-T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Well, I guess that settles it, no spring. I wonder when they started using a backrest spring? Could it have been late in '14 or early '15? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

The upholstery kits do not come with enough padding. If you get some 3" raw cotton batting it is about right and very comfortable.

My '15 is made in March 1915, the second month for the new body style. It has springs in the backrests front and back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

Thanks Royce. I purchased extra cotton batting and plan to use it to fill out the upholstery. The old upholstery had foam padding and it was not only uncomfortable but had started to crumble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Val-
To fill it out, you could put in some rubberized horsehair. I think you can get it in 1" or 2" thickness.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

That sounds nice - I had no idea you could get rubberized horse hair! I would try 1" of horse hair and the rest cotton to firm up the back rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

I have used what they call artificial horse hair before and it is great for filling the diamonds in the early interior diamond pleats. I am concerned about it settling in the later upholstery that does not have the pockets that the diamond pleats have to keep it in place. I have cotton batting and will try to fill out the upholstery with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Val-
Here is rubberized horsehair:

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/2WPBL203.html

I used some of this when doing the upholstery on my 1911. I used it between the burlap (I used duck cloth) and the regular horsehair. It really helped everything hold its shape in the construction and installation. I believe I slid and extra layer of it between the seat back and the upholstery when I was putting it all together.

The pictures are difficult to really see what is going on, but you can get the idea.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Thanks Keith. I did not realize it is like a mat that provides a backing for the horse hair.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration