Spark plugs and distributors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark plugs and distributors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

For now, all 4 of our T's use a Texas T distributor with good success. They all run well and seem to have as much power as other "correct" T's I have driven. Comparing another T on a tour not long ago with a distributor and nearly the same engine set up, his performance seem some better than what I had. The only detectable difference was the plugs. He was using a modern Bosch plug with a 1/2" plug to mm adaptor and I was using cheap 3095 plugs, standard 1/2" thread size.
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the way the distributor plug fires with the modern plug, probably better suited with the single coil set up as compared to the standard "T" ignition? While I do not have any problems with starting and running with no plug fouling, it might be fun to try a more modern plug. On a "Z" head, with the adapter and longer plug, it seems the extension through the head puts the plug in about the same place as regular 1/2" plug.
If I am not having any problems, maybe I am just over thinking this.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

I had great luck running these Bosch 405 long reach plugs into think they are a hotter plug never had anything but fooling from 3095'school even my hit miss and miss engines run like crappie with this plug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

I wonder if the spark plugs were all the differences between your engines. How about the camshafts, for example?
The camshaft is the brain of the engine and if yours is more worn or if it has a less ideal regrind than the other guys, then your car may fall behind in every hill climbing or acceleration. There may be more differences like carburetors, rear end ratio, 7.5 degrees advance of the timing gear, etc that makes large differences in how it performs besides the ignition systems.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration