Florida Keys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Florida Keys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

We will be in Florida for the winter tour in Feb / March and are considering driving our Model T the full length of the Florida Keys. Looks like about 100 miles and they say it takes about 4 hours. That works out to about 25 mph. Has any one done this? Any advice would be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

we did it 3 years ago in February. we camped at the 50 mile marker, I cant remember the name of the camp ground. I can haul 2 model Ts with me. 1 on my truck another in the 5ht wheel camper/toy hauler. i drove my 1917 touring and my friends took my 1924 speedster. we left at about 7:30 am and made it to the 0 mile marker in about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. cant remember exactly. we got the finger once on the way down and once on the way home. not bad. mostly friendly horns and lots of waves. it ws a cool ride. the 7 mile bridge was really cool to drive. the trip was great and we had a ball. the traffic was heavy. its hard to believe that many people are going into and out of key west constantly. that's why it's always full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Who said it takes four hours? Bing Maps says about 2 1/2 hours. A quick search on the highway reports speed limits vary between 55 and 45mph. You may get a ticket if you drive 25. It's a state highway. Sources also state that accidents frequently close both directions for hours at a time. Be sure to take a lunch. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

We did that drive last year after the Daytona 500 with our rental car. Does take quite a while because of the traffic and we were delayed 2 hours on the way back from a head-on collision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 05:05 am:

It's a beautiful in a modern car. Can't imagine it in a Model T. Where will u be starting from?
I will be at the Winter Tour also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:41 am:

We put a sofa bed in our long 1975 window van in 75 and took our 2 kids.We were stopped for traffic and a police car with a bull horn was ordering people in their cars,doors locked,and windows open just enough to breath!!!! Shortly they marched a chain gang past and they removed a wreck from a bridge by hand and were marched back!40 years and i remember that was the roughest looking bunch i have ever seen!!! If there is room pull off and let the traffic by often!1 Bud in Wheeler,Mi.PS,Out of the semi but be careful,those 4 whellers are NUTS!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:26 am:

I've done this trip a hundred times although not in a T. Its mostly 2 lane so be sure to pull over often and allow those stacked behind to pass. A weekday trip will help some with the traffic.

I can't imagine a better car than a T to experience this beautiful drive. Take your time, hit a lot of bars and tiki huts, and enjoy. Lot of characters in the Keys.

Sloppy Joe's in Key west hasn't changed much since Hemmingway's days. Walk Caroline St. and Duval and be sure to make the sunset celebration at Mallory Square - not to be missed, and you might see the green flash!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:14 am:

If you like this drive in a Model T, you have got to try the Lynnwood-to-Burien
drive on I-5 or old 99 during rush hour !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Speed limit may be 45 to 55 MPH, but very few T's can be driven (not trailered) at those speeds with reliability. I'd hate to push the limits of a T I was driving that distance over bridges and have engine trouble just because I wanted to get there in a set period of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

this is a daylight trip to see it all 125 miles from homestead to key west speed limit varies from 20 to 55 lots of 2 lane road but it has changed a lot with the passing lanes Monday //Thursday going down and back are the best days to travel Friday starts the run from the coast to party town and sunday coming out is a rat race the 7 mile bridge is 4 lanes so the idiots can fly by we have done 10 trips on the motor cycle and have a great time only 313 to duval street from my house

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration