Another Thrust Washer Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another Thrust Washer Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:32 am:

When I took the rear axle apart, sure enough there was a babbit thrust washer between the steel washers, and it was crumbling. I am thankful for all the warnings I have read over and over again on this forum about the danger. My question is when I install the new bronze thrust washer, should I replace the steel washers also? They are slightly scuffed, should they have a polished finish? Or are the scratches from the babbit alright to reuse? Thanks again, Ed S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:28 am:

You could polish them with sandpaper to avoid needing to buy more. They should be shiny and smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:49 am:

Check the pins that keeps the steel washers from turning - they're frequently damaged and needs to be pulled and replaced. Easiest way to pull a damaged location pin is probably to drill a hole in the middle, screw down a sheet metal screw tight in the hole and pull everything out with a crowbar. If the sheet metal screw won't hold, thread the hole and use a machine screw instead.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2531B.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Ed, I hope you're using the MTFCA axle book. I've found it a big help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:20 am:

I am ordering the book with my parts, Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Ed,
The book covers this (I think, haven't read it in a while), but you will have to fit the new washers to your rear axle, they will probably be too thick. (this is good, it's the way things are, too thin would be a problem)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Roger, I checked the pins and 5 of the 6 were gone.

Royce, thanks for the idea, I will sand them down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 11:39 am:

When I was "adjusting" the thickness of my bronze thrust washer, I put three small nails into a piece of 2x10 that I had lying around, driven low enough that they didn't stick up above the surface of the washer. The nails fit inside the ID of the washer and kept if from moving around. Then, I used my orbital sander with a 60 grit pad to sand the washer. Worked great!

You could do the same to polish your steel washers, but use a finer grit wet-or-dry pad and a few drops of oil as a lubricant. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration