1919 model t with Shaw kit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1919 model t with Shaw kit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:55 am:

Yup for sale on the yesterdays tractor site,but at 5,000 it seems a little high? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Rear wheels look to be in really nice shape (someone has pulled the lugs) and it has the very hard to find set of cast wheels for the front (would love to find a set of those for mine). Price is way high though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Here's the link:

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/photoads/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_d b_button=on&db_id=603081&exact_match=on&photo_size=lrg&query=retrieval

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Nice looking tractor conversion. I have seen a lot worse condition, sell at public auction for that much or more. Even as mush as 7000.00. Its more than I would want to give, but the tractor conversions with factory kits are worth more than most folks think ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Wow, that tractor location is almost in my back yard. I'm tempted to go look but if I would drag it home I may have to sleep in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Can anyone tell me, is there a connection between Staude, and Shaw.
I purchased a Staude for substantially less than this just prior to Labor Day.
Poached it out of Minnesota, used the rouse that we were just going to the show in Rollag.
I had done a bit of shopping prior to going and found five for sale within a half a days drive of Fargo/Moorhead, all priced in the $1500-2000 range.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Shaw is distinctive because the teeth on the bull gear (AKA spur gear) face outside. Every other kit on the market had the teeth facing inside. Shaw marketed this configuration as keeping rocks and dirt from accumulating in the bull gear and chipping the drive pinion. Shaw kit also had the cast front wheels and most components were stamped with part numbers that began with R. Kevin, the picture you posted above is a Shaw kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

My Shaw is pictured in my profile. Compare the rear wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Staude Ad (note the configuration of the bull gear on the rear wheel):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Ron, as usual a plethora of information. I did not know some of what you had mentioned. Thank You for sharing.

And that is a mighty fine Shaw for sale, but a little too rich for me. As much as I think steel wheel tractors look amazing, after I drove Zac's over some hard surfaces I welcome my rubber tired doodlebug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Chad, you are correct about the "ride" When I got my Montgomery Ward "Trail Blazer" I had the wife pull me from the shop to the barn. It was about 1000 feet. I was on grass and I thought I would need a kidney transplant by the time I got there. I actually stood up the last 1/2 of the trip. :-). The 1500 price range mentioned above is about right for most sales. But here in the south where there were not many of the conversions, They always seem to bring "big bucks" at the estate auctions. My 1930 "Trail Blazer" kit has the internal tooth bull gear. They changed to an external tooth in 1932. Ron , correct me if Im wrong. Shaw was supposed to have made the tractor conversions for Wards in 1929. Then Wards switched to Peru Wagon and Wheel Company in 1930. That conversion is almost a dead ringer for a Shaw. It uses an internal tooth bull gear. I had always thought that Shaw used the internal tooth bull gear in their early conversions. (but I could be wrong) As always, have fun, be safe ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

I think I may have answered my own question. I have an ad showing the Shaw (Montgomery Wards) conversion with an external bull gear.

1929 Montgomery Wards ad showing Shaw conversion with external bull gear.

1930 early 31 Montgomery Wards ad showing Peru Wagon and Wheel Co. conversion with internal tooth bull gear and small wheels

Late 1931-1932 Montgomery Ward ad showing Peru Wagon and Wheel Co conversion with large rear wheels and external tooth bull gear. This conversion was still being sold till just before WW2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Wow,
Thanks for the info. The guy that had it listed it as a Staude, and I figured it was, based on the fact that it was purchased so close to Minneapolis.
The main reason I purchased this one, is it was a complete and had the cast front wheels.
I just went back and read the "doodlebug" threads, what a great bunch of info.
Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

There is a nice Shaw kit near me I'm debating on purchasing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Kevin - you got a deal! Shaw's are a lot less common than most of the other kits.

James - if the price is reasonable, I wouldn't hesitate. I drove 8 hours - one way - to pull mine out of the rubble of a barn that had collapsed on her some 40+ years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Donnie - you did answer your own question. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Kevin - I would LOVE to find a set of those cast fronts. Would also like to find a nice set of rears - mine are "tender."

As this is rapidly becoming a sidebar on the Show Us Your Doodlebug Part (whatever we are up to this year), I will add that last weekend was a tough one for me. Was outbid on a '32 BB-based doodlebug that dwarfed my Klam Digah. Dwarfed (and Chad, you've seen the Klam Digah up close and know what a beast she is). Thing had 3 transmissions, a massive boom with winch on the back and road grader set up for the front. Have been messing with doodlebugs for almost 40 years and have never seen anything like this. Seat was 3" thick steel plate. Wasn't even sure I could fit her on my flatbed if I got her. Sadly, I was outbid. Will try and post some pics later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Staude has lost me with their math. A 22hp Ford does the work of six mules, four horses, or an eight horsepower engine...

At least I learned the horse-to-mule conversion ratio if I ever need it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration