Installing Neoprene Inner Axle Seals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Installing Neoprene Inner Axle Seals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:42 am:

I saw some earlier posts on this subject that stated that some grinding may be necessary on the axle sleeves to allow room for the newer neoprene inner axle seals, is this still the case? One of the threads had an entry from Glenn Chaffin that said that the latest seals are thinner to eliminate the problem.

Has anyone installed these recently in a pre-1925 axle? Did you have to do any grinding?

Thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:56 am:

I did, and I didn't. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Apparently Ford didn't control where the edge of the ring inside the housing ended as close in the early years, it was first for the big drum axles they made sure there was enough space for the leather seal used by Ford those years.

Earlier axles can vary, so you can try - if it fits, everything's OK. On the other hand, If the outer hyatt sleeve doesn't lock in its hole with the neoprene seal inside - then you may need to grind the inner edge of the sleeve somewhat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:19 am:

I did, and I did! :-)

I had to grind the sleeve on my 19 when I switched to the modern inner seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:22 am:

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll try installing the seals and sleeves as-is first. If the sleeves don't seat fully, then it's easy enough to pull the sleeve back out with the tool and do a little grinding on the inside edge of the sleeve to make more room. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:27 am:

What Steve said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:41 am:

I think it'll be the luck of the draw. You'll know once you put the sleeve in. If it sticks out, you have two choices, remove it and shave it down off-car, or use a dremel and do it on-car. I've done it both ways, and once I got lucky and didn't have to do it at all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I've always needed to grind about 1/16 away from the sleeve on the inboard side to provide clearance for the neoprene seals. Honestly, I think the stock inner / outer felt works as well or better.

I have a period accessory on my 1914 that has a sort of long coil spring around each axle. Driving the car forward carries the oil back to the center on the coil spring. It is simple and ingenious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:10 am:

I had to hand file the sleeves to get the seals in our 13/14 rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Ford did not control where the inner ring was riveted until about 1925 when he started using the Leather seals. What I do is measure the distance from the side of the inner ring to the outer end of the axle tube. Then compare that with the width of the sleeve. This will tell you exactly how much room you have for the seal. With our new seals you need about 1/16 inch. With our old seals you need about 1/8. The sleeve should be tight against the seal so it will not turn. so don't shorten the sleeve too much and make sure that the sleeve is still longer than the bearing. These are all important things to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

I am always thinking that after some time the seals will turning. Is there e way that we can prevent that ??? The seal is very [firm ]on the shaft.
Thanks Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

The seal has/should have a steel washer that the bearing rides against like at the other end as part of the seal as I recall. If it doesn't one should be installed and taken into consideration in the total amount of space needed as it fits between the sleeve and rivet ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

The most recent rear axle seals I installed, about a year ago, had the neoprene firmly attached to the steel washer. The steel and neoprene lip together are only .060". With Permatex or other sealant on the neoprene and the sleeve pressing against the washer, I think the chance of the seal turning with the axle is approximately zero. So far that 1/16" thickness has never been a problem for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Thanks Steve, that's what I recall but you never know what's out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

The ones I will be installing look like the one in Steve's picture. I took a measurement on the depth of the machined area inside my axle housings and the fit is going to be really close, I won't know if grinding is required until I actually install the seals and sleeves. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Update - I finished the final assembly of my Ebay Ruckstell today. I got half lucky - the Ruckstell side did not need any grinding, but the Ford side had to have about 1/16 inch ground off of the inner end of the sleeve.

By the way - Thankyou, Steve Jelf, for your "Home Stretch" Youtube video, it was very helpful!

:-)

(Message edited by cudaman on November 17, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration