Model t seat wood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model t seat wood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard C Held on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Hi, I am new to model t's and this board so take that into consideration if I ask questions that you think are stupid!
My question is does a 1925 Model t pickup have a wooden cover over the gas tank and do the seat springs mount to a wooden frame. The center part of my T is gone so I have almost nothing to compare to. Does any body have pictures of a 1925 interior that they can post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

-Richard-
What is your body style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Just looked at your profile.... "Roadster". My TT has the Express closed cab, so I'm not much help.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

Short answer: No and no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Go to fordwood.com. They make wood structure kits for Model T's.
Click on the 23-25 Roadster section and you can get a pretty good view of the Body wood structure.

This will give you an idea of what your cars wood body structure looks like.

The T 'pickups' of the 17-25 era are roadsters with the turtle deck removed and a pickup bed installed instead.

You can have a pickup or a roadster or both if you have a turtle deck to change out from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

The Ford pickup bed bolts through the body, so if you change back to a turtle deck, you will have holes in the sides of the body below the turtle deck. Just a note, as I was going to do that too to my '25, instead I found an accessory Perry wooden pickup bed that bolts through the deck only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen-Elkhorn NE. on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

No cover over tank. The bottom seat springs set on the tank and seat bracket. The rear springs mount to wood supports in the back. I would post some pics but it is a real pain on this forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen-Elkhorn NE. on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Google images can help a lot too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 05:35 am:

A '25 coupe(and I suppose a sedan) had a cardboard type of cover over the gas tank, under the seat. The vendors sell them. Don't know if an open car would use the same thing? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Richard,

Since this is your fist posting and you are new to Model T Fords, let me say welcome to the forum and to a fun car and hobby.

My first recommendation would be to contact the local Model T Ford club near you. Scott Parsons is listed at the contact for the Tucson Touring T’s. If you click on this link http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#az it takes you to the MTFCA chapters in Arizona. If you click on Scott’s name it gives you his e-mail address. (I prefer not to put his address here without his permission). There is a good chance that someone will have a 1924-1925 model year roadster in the chapter. And those years are very similar. For that matter a 1924-25 touring will have many of the same front body features.

Next, since you are new to Model Ts I would recommend that you have someone confirm the car is actually a 1925 Roadster Pickup and not some other year or body style. If you dated the car based on the year the title says, that can sometimes be misleading. Why? Because in general most USA Model T Fords were originally titled and are still titled today in many states using the engine serial number. But many engines as well as bodies have been swapped out over the years. And if they swapped the engine they could go to the trouble to have the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) update the title with the new number or they might use the title from the other car that donated the engine. The latter choice would be easier and many folks will or did take the easier route. So it is not unusual to have an engine that was manufactured in a different year from when the car was produced or from when the body was produced. Good new any Model T engine and transmission will fit any Model T with no changes to only minor changes required. (For example a 1926-27 engine and transmission will fit the earlier 1925 but the slots for the pedals need to be modified just a little bit in the floor boards.) To help you confirm that you have a 1924-25 body, please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/132254.html?1269479874 and http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/202420.html If your body is in lots of pieces – be sure the pieces are from the same year range 1915-1920ish (tourings 1920 roadsters later); 1921 for touring later for the roadsters to 1923 or 1924-1925. Those are model years not calendar years. I.e. a 1924 model year bodied car could be purchased in the last part of 1923 etc.

Additionally, when Model Ts were very inexpensive used cars, many folks purchased a used touring and removed the rear doors and rear seat. They added a pickup bed and had a good pickup at a very low cost. Below is a photo of Chad’s 1924-25 Canadian touring (note the door on the left side of the body) that was modified to be a pickup truck. You can click on my name and bring up my profile and see the same thing was done to Blackie, our 1915 that started off as a touring.

If your car is drivable please see the safety tips at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/576808.html

If you (or anyone else) send me an e-mail with “Send 1923 Roadster re-wooding article” or something similar in the title – I’ll gladly send you a free copy of R.V. Anderson’s article he wrote for the “Vintage Ford” magazine. The club allows us to share those for non-commercial use at no cost to help promote our hobby, club, and to help get a few more Ts back on the road.

Once you confirm which year body you have – I will try to post and/or send you some additional photos etc. of the seat area (there are lots of them captured from the forum. You can also do a search – go to Google etc. type in 1924 1925 roadster seat frame site:mtfca.com

Again welcome to the forum and good luck with your T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration