1912 Torpedo Door Latch Info Neded

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1912 Torpedo Door Latch Info Neded
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

The Ford Piquette Avenue Plant Museum in Detroit has a nice 1912 Torpedo, with no door latches. I have placed a wanted ad in the classifieds. However, I would appreciate it if someone could post a photo of one, (or both), so we even know exactly what it is we're looking for. I know these are specific to '12 Torpedos & scarce, but who knows?

Henry Ford thanks you!
(and so do I)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Attached is a photo of the door latch on my 1912 Torpedo.torpedo latch 1912

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Exploded view of '12 torpedo latch. It was taken apart for cleaning and restoration.door latch apart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Torpedo door striker. Newly machined. Copy of original.torpedo door striker. I apologize for the poor quality of these two pictures. Photography was not my best subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

those look just like 490 chev i might have some will look .charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

My original 1912 Torpedo body had latches similar to those pictured except: no rings around the mounting screw holes, 4 mounting screws on inside door surface ( none on jam face), knob that screws on for a handle. The right side was the same as some touring car Fore-doors. No latch on Fore-door left side!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Jack,
Isn't that for 1911 Torpedo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Referring to the striker piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

(Message edited by Jack Putnam in Bluffton, Ohio on November 10, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Jerry

This is the original door latch for my early 1912 Torpedo. I also have a late 1912 Torpedo which has the same latch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Guys,

Those are great photos and will help a lot. Thanks very much!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Sorry Jerry. I looked in my spare parts garage
and couldn't find anything close. Good luck with
your endeavor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

jerry! if you get the repo 1913 latches and re work the handles you will have the same thing as what is on gregs car.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Jerry,

Check this ebay item out, you can get at least one latch here. The latch for sale here looks just like the ones on my two 1912 torpedos and my 1912 Touring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231289916552?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

greg!!! you better look again. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 10:03 am:

I think this is what you are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Tom,

Yes, I believe that's it. Are these being reproduced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:23 am:

The catch looks different than the others shown above. What is the difference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

These are actually 10-11 Torpedo locks and strikes. Evidently they were used in 12 also. Looks to be a dead match. The difference in the strike is that this one has a back wall to it so when it is installed in the body the wall extends outward just past the sheet metal. So when you close the door, the plunger in the lock strikes the back wall first and does not strike the painted surface of the quarter panel. The wall can be narrowed to the width of the plunger if you desire. I have one pr. of these.

Tom Rootlieb
209-632-2203

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Elliott, Tigard, OR on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Here are a couple of hatches for comparison.
I don't know the year of them, but one of them looks like the picture Greg has posted and the other looks like the picture that Tom posted.
Jerry, it looks as if I may have missed a call from you?

latch-1

latch-2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration