But I don't have a brass era "T"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: But I don't have a brass era "T"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

I went to ACE (a local hardware store) to find a screw to replace one in my dash that had stripped and was rattling one like this

But all they had were brass ones like this

well I guess I could paint it with "Chrome paint", but why can't I ever find what I need?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Try a stainless steel one and buff it. I'm pretty sure our local Ace carries them. It will look like nickel plating which is proper for all Model T's. Chrome didn't come until later. If you need an oval head, just wrap some tape around the threads (to protect them) and chuck it in your drill motor. Use a file to dome the head a little. Finish it off with finer grades of sandpaper, then buff it. It's a cheap way to make a period style fastener!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Not sure what size those are, but you can sometimes find small chrome plated ones like #8 or #10 in the plumbing section. They are used to hold faucet handles on. Slotted screws are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 04:15 am:

Fastenal has a lot of stainless screws with the straight slots. You may have to order them, but they are very reasonable and only takes a few days to get them. Check them out. I just got some oval head wood screws from them, and they were priced at $.05 a piece. Didn't have to buy a whole box of them. Stainless polishes up to look almost identical to nickel, and doesn't tarnish or get dull, as Verne said. I haven't tried the chrome plated screws, but if they are like most of the "flashed chrome" plated parts that are sold these days, they will start to rust in short order. Works for me. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 06:48 am:

Hal Those are 1/4-20
Verne I was talking to the vendor that stocks the shelves at ACE (Crown Bolt) He said there was no call for the stainless but would bring in a box the next time he was there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 10:22 am:

I am fortunate to have two "real" bolt & screw stores in my area. Slotted screws are available at those stores. (We have Fastenal as well, but they usually don't have what I want.)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration