Homemade Coilbox Lid

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Homemade Coilbox Lid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

I had some fun this week building a lid for my coil box. I believe the originals were deep drawn. I bent this one around a maple form and brazed the corners. The first try was too small. Then I read 14's were slightly tapered. Some dimensions were mentioned on the forum. The second try was too small also but the third one will work. The latch top was fairly easy to form on some dies made from plate and bar. Slots were a series of holes and connected with a hacksaw blade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Richard you are a fabulous artist and a truly magnificent engineer , thank you for posting it is an inspiration to one and all

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Richard-

Very, very nice work.

I am green with envy.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

richard!! very nice work.if you want to make the box to let me know i have all the pattens and tooling for free.i made some about 20 years ago but could not get enough out of them to make it worth while.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Beautiful! Fantastic job well done.
Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Rich -- Thanks for posting things like this that you do. Your ingenuity and artistry never cease to amaze me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Nice Job, just shows when there's a will, there's a way. Add a little patience and you have a beautiful piece of work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

There are many ways to enjoy the old cars. I'm glad there are those who enjoy seeing the work as I do.
Charley, I have the box. Thanks for the offer.
I sure can appreciate the folks who make repro parts. The demands to make parts acceptable at a profit and the marketing is way beyond me. It is pretty nice to be able to do this for fun.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Richard you are a craftsman! nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 12:18 am:

I know a little bit about sheet metal. That being said....you Sir are a true craftsmen...Excellent work! Those "rounded top" coilbox lids are hard to come by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brainard on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Richard,

Can you walk through the steps of making the latch top? They look great and I would like to understand the process.

Thanks!

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

i will send mine to the scrape now.ha ha .charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Charlie, if you scrap them let me know where they go. !o)

Chris, I start with a slotted plate, a guide plate and a plate with the pressing bar. They are held in place with screws and the sheet metal clamped in place. Then I push them together with a 12 ton press. A vise or large c-clamp might work instead.

Next, I trim the blank close to shape traced from a cardboard template. It is sandwiched between a turned cylinder and a horseshoe and clamped in a vise. (the cardboard template is shown rather than a blank.) Then it is hammered to shape. It takes a little practice to learn how hard to pound.

If I were making more than a couple, I would do the last step in some forms like the first step. There is some additional additional shaping to sharpen the curvature but this is the basic idea.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:29 am:

I love this kind of thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Very well done. I envy your talent......

Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Charlie Shaver,
Is you tooling for the coil box, lid, or both? I have been wanting to try to make one or more box and lid for a 1914. I would be interested in seeing how you make them. I live about an hour drive from you, near Springfield, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

A real metalsmith to be sure! Good stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brainard on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 06:43 am:

Rich,

Thanks very much for your explanation. Just one other question:

In the last of you original photos you show a "tongue" shaped piece of flat steel and a flat washer. What were these used for?

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 10:41 am:

It is nice to hear your comments. Thanks.

I left a little extra material on the piece when I shaped it over the cylinder. I placed the tongue shaped piece in the formed latch top and file material down til the file is on the tongue. Then it fits the lid flush and to the right depth. I used the washer the same way but the tongue works better.

An additional tongue piece, not previously show, was made to better shape the top of the formed curvature. Initial pressing left a slope that was not what was needed.

It was a lucky guess on how much clearance to give between the slot and the pressing bar in the first procedure. Too little clearance and it tries to shear the material. Too much and you get a lot of slope. I could have used some large pins in the 3 plates rather than the small screws. This might have resulted in more of a shear at the curvature. It is a little thin there as it is. I think the reshaping afterwards worked better. Also, I am using scrap sheet metal I have. There are special steels that are more suited for this type of work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

OMG you actually MADE the latch tops! VERY nice work! Top itself looks great too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

I remember being in grade school and having a book called 101 Elephant jokes.
One of the jokes was "How do you make a statue of an elephant?'
The answer was "You get a big block of marble and chisel away anything that doesn't look like an elephant"
Richard has done this with the same mentality.
In other words you just do it.
Great job!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration