Probably not revealing any big secret but it works for me

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Probably not revealing any big secret but it works for me
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Feeling generous with information so thought I'd post something I've been doing for quite awhile that works well for me. It's free information so take it for what you are paying for it.

I have spent countless hours trying to lap in drain cocks from carburetors with everything from Timesaver to toothpaste, pumice and Bon Ami (Feldspar). What I have found to work best for me is hand cleaner with pumice in it. The kind in the orange jug you can buy at any auto parts store, Wally World, etc. It's already mixed, it is water soluble so it's easy to clean up and it works better than anything else I've found to lap that tapered piece into the other part.

I have found no source for those little 1/16 NPT drains on the early carbs and am always needing to get them to quit dripping or weeping. It is still time consuming to do them with this stuff but it works when you get done. I've been using it for years, just never though to post it until today when I was doing one.

I did another carb today that had already been done by somebody else, it had the goopiest crap in the drain valve I've ever seen. Can't get it off the part, can't get it off your hands, practically ruined a $60 stainless steel wire brush trying to wire brush it off. Lacquer thinner wouldn't cut it, the Ultrasonic wouldn't cut it, bead blast just gets it in the cabinet, finally soaked it for a couple hours in pure brass cleaner like you use for ammunition casings before reloading.

My theory is that if you have to put goop in it to get it to stop leaking you didn't fix it.

Well anyway, take it for what it's worth.

Rant! I probably get in two or three carbs every month that have already been "rebuilt" by somebody else. It usually takes as much time to undo the bad work as it would have to just do it right the first time. Second Rant! I hate it when somebody bead blasts a carb before they send it to me using coarse media. I've had some that are practically ruined. Takes a lot of work to get it look decent again. Especially if they spray it with Lacquer or something. Third Rant! I can't warranty somebody else's work. I can't do it for half price because somebody else did it, charged for it, didn't do a complete job and it didn't work.

Well, back to the shop. Got another one to get done tonight. It's soaking in the Ultrasonic cleaner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

That's good info Stan, I'll try that on the next petcock I do. Know what you mean about someone else's work, used to get that when I did mechanic work for the public, they wouldn't tell you they had been all over town trying to get the job done on the cheap. I finally quit takin in other peoples mess ups. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Stan, why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist- New Zealand on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Stan you can rant as much as you like-your workmanship speaks for itself. I get countless people asking me why I sent the Breeze carburetor on my 1910 Hupmobile half way across the world to be rebuilt by you. That is until they hear the car run and idle so sweetly and see the finish on the carb!

The Stromberg 48 on my 1934 has just come back from Uncle Max in Salt Lake City and again it is perfection! Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

Hand cleaner with pumice also works wonder on old hard rubber parts, for what its worth. Cleans and softens them up some, the more you work it and scrub, the better it gets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

He's good! He is who I send the people to who call me wanting later Stromberg work done.

Steve Hughes bought the near perfect Breeze I scored last fall, it is the nicest one I have ever seen. Fortunately, he is still a ways from needing it. Glad yours is working good for you. At one time here last summer I had 4 Breeze carburetors in the shop at once. One from Massachusetts, one from South Africa, one from Germany and one I bought at Chickasha. Should have taken a photo. The Breeze carbs are so simple I was really surprised at how well they run and also surprised at how much difference there is in them. They look similar on the outside. Internally they changed.

Later tonight I'll post a photo of a Holley two screw for a 1912 T I just got done today. It is a gorgeous carb. Ran like a fine watch, I took a bunch of pictures of it.

Dick, it's because I am so shy and unopinionated I am making sure I don't cause anybody any heartburn by having an opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 02:51 am:

Stan, sent you another message. I'll be contacting you in a while. Thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 02:57 am:

By the way, thanks for the tip on the hand cleaner. I have found it works very well for some household clean ups too, such as a grease smudge on a couch (don't ask how I know this ) and black rubber smudges on floors and such. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 07:55 am:

David, you must have a wife like mine.:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration