Old Photo - Green Flathead 1925

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Green Flathead 1925
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Does not look like there is a firewall between the engine and driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Very cool! The Mt. Clemens Speedway was in operation into the 1980's I believe. I live maybe 15 minutes from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Interesting terms. I had not considered that the word "Flathead" would have been used that early. It makes sense as Buicks and Chevys had overheads. Fords had "Dashboards" I assume the word "Firewall" came with fuel pumps. Or were there a lot of leaking carburetors?
Neat car
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Richard,

I believe "dashboard" is a carryover word from the buggy/carriage era, while "firewall" probably came into use shortly after the first instances of engine fires, which probably happened at a very early date. Obviously, for a long time both words were, and still are, used.

Car manufacturers today do not use the word "firewall", as it suggests it will contain a fire, which it will not, hence potential lawsuits. It's known as a bulkhead, which seems to prevent litigation, so far anyway...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Jerry, I was just going to reply with the word "bulkhead"! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Certainly dashboard is a carryover from horse drawn vehicles, it keeps them from dashing on your feet!
Had always suspected that firewall came into use when instruments moved from near the engine to a new panel closer to the passengers. Instead of using the British "instrument panel" we call it the dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Does anyone have picture(s) of a SOHC Green Engineering race car?
Would really appreciate seeing same. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:52 am:

At one time the phrase "instrument board" was used too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration