Old Photo - Chavannes Garage, Wanganui, 1915

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Chavannes Garage, Wanganui, 1915
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

Neat how we can see the somewhat weathered look on the car in the foreground which the other cars prove is now five or six years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

RHD?

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 04:36 am:

New Zealand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 05:04 am:

What a great picture! The picture detail is incredible. Also like the building details, they don't build them like that any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 07:39 am:

Can any of our NZ friends identify the location by any slim chance?? Tom ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 07:40 am:

Ooooops Silly me. It has already been identified in the heading.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages, ACT Australia on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Could it have been a hotel?
Looks like someone may have been living on the verandah.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Manuel.

I agree that it does look like it could be a hotel. The building has two chimneys and what appears to be a hot water system. Maybe the "garage" is next door as there is a doorway open and a window. I'm convinced that the car owners are at a boozer!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 04:10 am:

Can't be certain, but I believe that Chavanne's original motor sales building is the one with the open door just past the 'Hotel'. The address is 'Maria Place' but no number given. The hotel building was, and possibly at the time of the photograph, still, an Hotel. The hotel itself underwent extensive additions and renovations prior to reopening in October 1892. The hotel was owned by Mr. & Mrs. Charles Chavanne.

The car dealership was in the names of Senior and Junior Chavannes. Perhaps a N.Z. enthusiast can enlighten us more on the car dealer5ship. I do know that they were very active with British makes and took on the Ford agency in conjunction with such as the British Rover and Standard as well as the French F.N.

The earliest reference that I have found about the business is on line here-

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=WC19070215.2 .56&srpos=1&e=01-01-1906-31-12-1908--10--1----0Chavannes+Garage%2c+Wanganui--

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 04:30 am:

This, courtesy Google Earth, is the same location today. Alas the hotel has gone. The buildings on the right hand side of the street date from 1919, so are just a bit later than the 1915 photograph.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration