Old Photo - Jasper Avenue in Edmonton, Alberta

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Jasper Avenue in Edmonton, Alberta
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 11:10 am:

What a great picture of a city in transition from horses and streetcars to automobiles!

What are the tall poles atop the buildings? If they're flagpoles, it must have been a major job to get up on the roof and hoist a flag. They sure aren't antennas! Lightning rods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Awesome picture. What year do you think this is? Circa 1910

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 11:51 am:

And here is roughly the same view the summer of 2014. There are still a few of the original storefront structures, heavily modernized of course, down a few blocks on the RH side. I believe the church (steeple above streetcar) is still there.

No idea about the building poles they are so darn uniform as to suggest they are not flagpoles, assuming building owners would erect their own and there would be noticeable variations. The pole in upper left appears to have guy wires maybe an antenna?

The Edmonton Radial Railway (streetcar system) commenced operation in 1908 and ran the last car Sept 02, 1951.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 11:55 am:

The tall poles are probably lights for low flying jets.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Robert P, Good guess on the year, I was going to say about 1912, but as I look closer, I think the T down center is a '13. Not enough detail to be certain. But the lamps, fenders, and windshield look like a '13.
That is a wonderful photo! Thank you Jay!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Jay - This one is typical of my favorite kind of old photo,.....boy,....it's a dandy! And I think you guys are real close on the year Wayne. I was looking closely and trying to make a guess too, I what I noticed was that the brass headlights on that closest Model T, while it's too far to see any real detail, it's obvious that the brass is still pretty bright and shiny, and I'm sure that very few "T's got their brass "polished" back in those days, so that car is probably pretty new in the early teens. Again, a really great picture Jay,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Society sure has done a great job of making things ugly since 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Good observation Burger and it certainly is true...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration