Manufacturers of Vaporizers for 1926-27 Cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Manufacturers of Vaporizers for 1926-27 Cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

I know this discussion has been posted in the past, but I have been unable to find it when searching through Google. I am curious what manufacturers produced vaporizers for the Improved cars. What other variations are out there

The most common type was the Holley and I have an Atlas heater manifold that was made to fit the Holley vaporizer. I also know of the Kingston Gasifier and the Regenerator. There are others, but I do not know their names. I would appreciate anyone who can post pictures and contribute to the discussion and/or provide links to previous discussions. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Simmons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Reginald Urness on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

My 1927 tudor has a vaporizer carburetor. It is hard to start when the engine is cold. When it is warm it starts at the touch of the starter button. Has anyone had success with a vaporizer starting well when the engine is cold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Reginald:

Have you made sure there are no vacuum leaks?

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Antonino on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

I have a 1927 TT truck and it rarely starts when the engine is cold with a Holley Vaporizer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

The Kingston's are far superior to anything that Holley produced, not only in efficiency but also because there is no parts that wear out either. They also had more parts to their assembly which equated to being more expensive to produce in Ford's book...which is probably why there are more Holley's around than Kingstons's, which is probably also why nobody reproduces any parts for them with the exception of the gasket set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

I went through 3 vaporizers trying to find one that would start easily when cold. I am now running a NH. I did have one that would start fairly easily cold if you cranked it over with full choke 4 or 5 times by hand first and then hit the starter. Never had one that I could crank over by hand without half killing myself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

Thanks to Bill posting the Simmons brand, I found a conversation from two years ago.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/351470.html?1364609653

Are those the rarest of the Vaporizers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I have only seen one Simmons brand vaporizer for sale on Ebay since Al Gore invented the internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

My Vaporizer starts fine cold if you do it right.
- Battery start (12v) choke out, wind it over and after two or 3 winds push the choke all the way in while still winding and it fires up. If I don't push the choke in it wont fire up.
- When hot it is fine but if it cools slightly the choke out then in while cranking system has to be used again.

Note - my 27 has a Z head and very high compression at 90 psi and runs 12v.
-When hand cranking from very cold I hold the choke out the entire time until it starts, you can view for yourself here is a video link following 3 of the coldest days in NZ history (-20 deg C) & T not started for for 4 days -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXNXNuStpM4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I've tried Ford(Holley), Simmons, Kingston B-1, and Kingston B vaporizers on my 1927 tudor, as well as the NH. There is no question, the Kingston B-1 is the superior carburetor.

The Ford vaporizer is subject to wear and tear, and advantages from pre-heating the fuel vapor before mixing it with cold air may be offset by very long vapor path and the subsequent acceleration delay. It started hard when it was brand new.

The Simmons is interesting for its very robust vaporizing chamber, which is adjustable from the dash. Its starter setup is worse than the Ford. It's primitive, with little thought given to cold starting.

The Kingston B-1 has the best cold-start design I've ever encountered on a stock Ford carburetor. When choked, fuel is injected by air pressure directly into the top of the down-turned intake manifold from a brass nozzle. The start injection is controlled by a separate knob on mixing chamber. Open it too far, and you can easily flood the engine. One quarter turn from dead-closed is plenty.

To cold start with a B-1, open the needle valve 1/8 turn from the last running adjustment. (Normal is 3/4 turn.) Pull the choke. Turn the engine over two rotations and drop the choke. Bang. She's running. Close the needle valve 1/8 turn as the vaporizer mass warms up. After that, she'll start all day with no choke on the second crank rotation.

The Kingston B is slightly simpler. It lacks the choke adjustment, the throttle-plate lever is a bronze casting, front and dash choke levers are one piece, the choke injection nozzle is cast iron, there is no identification plate, and there is no removable bowl extension. (On the B-1, you can delete the bowl extension and shorten the vapor path, but only with a cowl-mounted fuel tank.)

Both Kingstons give the acceleration response of an NH, with better fuel mileage and a measurable horse power increase.

For light weight, simplicity, and reliability, nothing beats an NH, but for an exotic yet authentic 1927 carburetor, the B-1 wins.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Antonino on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Sorry should have posted, hand cranking my TT truck it rarely starts when cold, but when using the starter it will start easily. With the key off I turn over the motor about a dozen times then get in the cab, turn the key on, retard the spark all the way and set the throttle 1/4 of the way down. Fully choke the carb and hit the starter button and it will fire right up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

So, the four main types arr:

1) Holley
2) Kingston Gasifier
3) Kingston Regenerator
4) Simmons

Accessories:

1) Atlas heater manifold - Holley

Anything I have missed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 10:57 am:

The only other vaporizer that I know of is the "Mile-Maker," sold by Western Auto in the 1927-28 catalog. It sold for $4.25, and it used an existing Holley NH as the bowl/mixing chamber. I have never found one to examine.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Do you have a picture of the Mile-Maker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Sorry for the delay. Notice in the picture there is also the Simmons vaporizer, named the D6025 "Special." It costs $2 more than the D6036 Mile-Maker. There is also available a D6035 for the Chevrolet, and it costs twice as much as the Mile-Maker for the Ford.

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration