OT - Remembering Vietnam Vets....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Remembering Vietnam Vets....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Though we've just observed Veterans' Day, this is something to know:
We should never forget.....................

This is phenomenal!!!!! Click on the site at the bottom then chose a state.

First click on a state. When it opens, scroll down to the city and the names will appear. Then click on their names. It should show you a picture of the person, or at least their bio and medals.
This really is an amazing web site. Someone spent a lot of time and effort to create it.
I hope that everyone who receives this appreciates what those who served in Vietnam sacrificed for our country.
The link below is a virtual wall of all those lost during the Vietnam war with the names, bio's and other information on our lost heroes. Those who remember that time frame, or perhaps lost friends or family can look them up on this site. Pass the link on to others if you like.

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Thanks for the link. I did not know this was available. I looked up my cousin from Ambridge Pennsylvania and several friends from Butler PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

I am a VN vet. Over 9,087,000 people served during the Viet Nam war. That was 9.7% of that generation. A total of 3,403,100 served in theater. 58,202 died as a result of hostile action. 61% of those who served were under 21 years of age. Most folks don't realize or have forgotten how bad it was. Service men were not appreciated then like they are now. I'm thankful we now recognize the sacrifice service personnel make and have made throughout the history or our country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Marv,

I remember my good friend that was killed in Viet Nam on a regular basis.
Please look,at the link that is in the OT thread my personal veterans day story.

I will never forget and neither will my kids and grand children.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Marv,

I remember my good friend that was killed in Viet Nam on a regular basis.
Please look,at the link that is in the OT thread my personal veterans day story.

I will never forget and neither will my kids and grand children.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Marv, Thanks for posting,
65-69 USN ABEC Retired 28yrs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Thank You Marv for posting this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 12:05 am:

Marv, that hit hard. Thank you for the post. I knew we lost a man that day, but I couldn't remember his name. He was 1 or 2 behind me. The 5 ton in front of me got hit with an RPG. I stopped to lift the wounded soldier into my truck and got the hell out of there. Once I was out of the kill I stopped to check things out. My guy had lost some of his left hand. But the other trucks didn't come for awhile. The guys one and two behind me had gotten hit too. One was WIA (a friend from Chicago) the other was KIA. By the time the convoy security, an APC armed with a couple 50's and an M60 got there the NVA had run. My truck took some small arms rounds. I was hauling barrels of AV Gas. It was during Operation Lam Son 719/ Dewey Canyon II. I was awarded my first Bronze Star. The rest got Purple Hearts and one went home to his family.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 06:07 am:

Marv, I found this site a few years ago. Found a lot of information that I thought I would never find out. Some locally, and some that happened when I was there. Thanks for bringing this up for us Viet Nam vets, and others that weren't there but may have a connection. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 07:43 am:

I was just a kid when Vietnam was going on but I knew something bad was happening somewhere in the world and I also knew our American GI's were over there doing something about it. You were my heroes then and you still are now. I never fail to stop and thank a vet for his service and I thank you now. You boy's took a whole lot of crap from an ungrateful nation when you got back and never received the heroes welcome you deserved but I know one little boy who never forgot those brave soldiers who fought so far away and I grew up to be a proud American patriot because of your sacrifice and service. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Today I had time to search the list of towns near where I grew up back in Iowa. It was a experience as my eyes raced down the list and then onto the towns that were close and then to my hometown.

I already knew about a couple of classmates but also found some others I recognized.

It really hit home when I saw the birthdate of one of my classmates was the exact same day as mine on 11/21 just one year older. I must contact the family as they remember him on that day and offer my sympathy.

Thanks again for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Today I had time to search the list of towns near where I grew up back in Iowa. It was a experience as my eyes raced down the list and then onto the towns that were close and then to my hometown.

I already knew about a couple of classmates but also found some others I recognized.

It really hit home when I saw the birthdate of one of my classmates was the exact same day as mine on 11/21 just one year older. I must contact the family as they remember him on that day and offer my sympathy.

Thanks again for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:49 am:

I have been a member of this site since about '08 or '09, a lurker for a few years before that. For a long time, I thought I must be the only Viet Nam vet on here. I thought I must be the only Model T nut that was also a vet. Then, over the years, we started becoming more "vocal", so to speak. Seems like every year, more of us "show up", and unfortunately, some have been "lost" from the forum for whatever reason. Hopefully, they are still with us. I am always thankful to see these guys acknowledge their service, I've even had some things in common with some, be it the same time frame we were there, M.O.S., or area where we were stationed. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's sure nice to have other vets, and don't get me wrong, not just Viet Nam vets, that have something in common besides these rusty old cars! JMHO. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration