I think I my have ruined by generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I think I my have ruined by generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 07:47 am:

I think I my have ruined by generator! Seabiscuit is being use in Ben Affleck's new movie "Live by Night" and last week the generator was not charging. So yesterday I brought down the generator (with cut out) from Sambuca my '17 and tried to swap them, but could not do that because the'26 has some high intake manifold and I could not get the old one out. So next I tried swapping just the cut outs. While I was doing that I noticed that the tread/bolt that holds the cut out on the generator was turning. My long winded question is will that ruin my generator and stop it from charging the battery.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.facebook.com/warren.henderson.501/videos/vb.1488951254/1020549902566 3562/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 07:54 am:

i have always been told that the two small screws that hold the cutout have to be short so that they do not cut into the generator windings cloth covers and cause a short.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 08:14 am:

After reading your post again I believe you may be asking about the large copper generator post coming loose. I believe you can raise it and tighten it up. Hopefully no generator damage occurred and it charges again. My old TT truck vibrated mine loose but after tightening it worked again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 09:23 am:

If you run the car without the generator charging, you might ruin the generator because it will have very strong internal current. Not knowing what bolt you referring to, I would say the best thing to do would be to remove the manifold and replace the generator with the one you know is good. Do this until you can get some expert help on fixing your generator.

If you don't have time or if you can't do this, the next best thing to do would be to remove the cover from the brushes and take a hook and lift the springs from the brushes and slide the brushes away from the commutator.

Then when you have time to remove the generator, do it and then fix it properly.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 09:33 am:

If you're talking about the generator post, it should not turn. The jumper from the post to the positive brush has a square hole for the pseudo-carriage bolt. If it's turning, you probably broke the connector or the wire lead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Thank you Anthony, hopefully I did no damage to my generator. I was backing out the top nut when I noticed the tread was turning.

Happy Motoring,

Warren

Ben Affleck bundles up as he takes a stroll with his mother Christine while on the set of his film Live By Night on Friday afternoon (November 13) in Lawrence, Mass.

Ben Affleck, "Live by Night"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Thanks to Jay and everyone for your help!!!! I think I found a photo on today's forum that shows me how to fix the problem.

Happy motoring,

Warren

generator problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

What is that guy drilling in the hogshead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

A hole.

Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:18 am:

I think I my have ruined by generator! Update, back on set yesterday morning (before 6am) and Seabiscuit fired right up with no problem and started charging!!!!

Happy camper!!!!

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Hey Warren, I hope you're taking some full-sized pictures on the set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Steve no picture taking is allowed on set. I am using the one from web site off local news stations. The main thing is they are treating us great, I will need to go on a diet when we finish and I am having more fun than I ever had before. Seabiscuit's getting most of the action. I did a bridge scene this afternoon.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration