OT.Vintage tools

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT.Vintage tools
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Every sunday there is a flea marked in the park right outside my window here in Oslo , Norway. I'm kind of a tool junky
:-). I use to dig into the boxes with old tools. Most are cheep junk, but sometimes I find good quality tools. Today my eyes spotted an impressive metal shears tin sheet tool . About 15 inch long, forged steel. Its powerful jaws and the ingenious construction made me buy it . 20 bucks is really cheep I think.
When I got home I examined the tool and to my surprise it was manufactured by Bartlett mfg. Co.in Detroit. Kind of a Ford connection lol. I googled the company, but I'm not sure they still exist, but I found the original patent from 1912 made by mr. Charles H Prince from New York. Anyway, this is my philosophic reflection of how to appreciate quality tools in a world that's flooded with not so good chinese products.
Rolf in Oslo Norway
RolfBartlett snips

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Great find! Whenever I find old tools, I clean them up and usually put them back to work. Hard to beat a good set of Wiss snips though.

I have several sheet metal tools from the 20s and before. And a stove pipe crimper from 1868. It still works although I don't do much stove pipe. It did come in handy when I redid the drier vent though. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Good old tools like that are made for work properly lubricated I bet those would cut a pretty thick piece of sheet metal :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Federal Safety Regulations here would require the operator to complete a 12 course
and wear a helmet, face shield, gloves, and respirator to use this tool. Oh yeah, and
steel-toed boots, in case a drop falls to the floor and a wind suppression booth to keep
any air movement from tearing the sheemetal from the operator's control and becoming
airborne. Then it becomes a violation of air quality regulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

My neighbor owns a tool rental company. I had need for a .22 shell fired nail gun for concrete. I wanted to rent one and he said he did not have one.

He told me due to federal regulations(since 911), before he could rent one, I would have to take a 4 hour firearm safety course then apply for a concealed weapon permit(another 3 days) before I could rent one.

Then he told me go over to Home Depot and purchase one off the shelf including the shells. Which I did then walked up to the cashier purchased the stud gun and ammo, no ID just my Home Depot credit card.

Go figure,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Did you get the special helmet, face shield, and ear protection ?

You could be facing felony Federal charges. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Rolf,
Interesting shears and great profile picture!
Floyd Voie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 08:25 am:

My brother is a convicted felon, but since he got out has turned his life around. They will not let him purchase a fire arm, however since he is a master dive instructor and his boat is over 28 ft he is required to carry one of those 12 gauge flare guns. and you don't need a background check to purchase one..... Go Figure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 08:40 am:

G.R., and yeh, that innocent little flare gun will burn a hole clean through a human body! Better than any 12 ga. shotgun for sure. It's been a few years since I got out of boating and put my Masters License in "continuity" but now you got me to thinking...maybe an arsenal of these would be just about as effective as getting an M1 which I am also considering! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 08:52 am:

I don't think it has anything to do with boat size. I think it's dependent on where you boat and state/CC regulations. When I had a 20' boat in Ohio, I frequently went out on lake Erie and to the islands. I was required to have various safety equipment and a radio if you were boating more than 5 miles off-shore. A flare gun is part of the safety equipment.

Besides, it's not a weapon. If you tried to fire a standard 12Ga. shell, the thing would explode in your face. That's one of the reasons they went to plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 09:00 am:

Tim, really? You've been watching too many movies. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Rolf, I have a pair of tin snips like that. I bought them maybe 30 years ago as antiques at a flea market. There was also a smaller pair just like it there that I did not buy. Good old American made tool that lasts forever:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration