OT - 1906 car sales in Detroit.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - 1906 car sales in Detroit.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

1906 was the year Ford Mo. Co. introduced models K and N. Because of production delays, both models were behind schedule. However, according to this Detroit Free Press article, by the end of 1906 Ford was the leading car maker in sales numbers in Detroit. I thought it interesting to see sales figures from competing companies in what was already recognized as the leading car making city in the world, Detroit.

The following year, 1907, Ford would become the largest automaker in sales in the world, and hold that position until 1927:

Putting the numbers in a spread sheet, some totals seem surprising to me. Buick is having a quick impact, and Elmore's are selling well in Detroit. Aerocar, with former Ford investor A. Y. Malcomson as president and offering three models, has sold the same number of cars total as Ford has sold Model K. I'm not sure why Ford is listed as sales leader while White shows more sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

With only one Locomobile sold would that have been their first year of production or is it the list of cars sold in the Detroit area? What are the sales for the entire USA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

P.S.

I'm not trying to get into a spittin' contest there is too many of them on the forum now. I was just trying to find out if the article was for only the Detroit area or the whole USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Denny,
Just the Detroit area. I wish I had similar info from Ford's other branch areas. I do have Ford totals, and some other make year end totals. I suspect Locomobile (that had been in business for several years) did not have much of a presence in Detroit at the time.

It's always a pleasure to explore Ford history, and I appreciate your comments and observations,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 02:01 am:

Locomobile was an East coast car company, Made in Massachusetts and Connecticut (I did have to look up and verify the states). They were able to sell just about everything they could build, and didn't make a lot of effort to expand outside the East (okay, to us in Califunny, you guys are in the East, but that was not how Easterners looked at it).
Shipping of completed cars was also a factor, and a disadvantage to an East coast builder selling in Detroit.
Locomobile started out building a moderate priced steam-driven automobile. About 1904/'05 they made the move to higher priced gasoline powered automobiles. I find it very interesting that one of the top electric automobile engineers in the world (A L Riker) was the chief engineer that helped them make that transition. Therefore, Locomobile is one of the best and most iconic automakers in the early automobile history. But Henry Ford they ain't.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration