1926 Coupe header panel crack question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Coupe header panel crack question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

I took the plunge and pulled my 26 Coupe apart for rust repair, bodywork, and paint.

One section that's a bit holey is the header panel at the front section of the roof.

It looks like the panel is cracked on both sides, as it moves a bit much. Is that the case? I want to make sure I add that to the list of things to weld up over the coming weeks.

Text description

Text description

Also any thoughts on patching this area? I could possibly make a patch panel, but I saw Howell's offers the header panel. I'm not sure if it includes the little rail that the top tucks into.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Do your own repairs if you have the skill other wise explore the Howell's option.
Looks like a bit of rust out as well as cracking.
Model T frames flex that much that over time it stresses sheet metal parts and does more damage than we realise.
Going by the number of T coupes I've had in my life it is quite a common problem.
The last coupe I had, I added extra steel tube in to the roof frame to help stiffen things up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Russell, to me that panel looks to be too much work to be rendered sound again. It would be much simpler to replace it. I would resist the urge to add stiffening to the body. Just fit as usual and allow things to move as the frame flexes. Roads are way better today than they were when your T was new, and we give them far less work than before, so you are not likely to ever have to do the same repair again.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Michael, you never know you could find a good used one at a local swap meet.
Genuine is always better than reproduction in my book.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration