Stromberg Carburetor Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stromberg Carburetor Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:13 am:

Dose anyone make reproduction choke leavers that mount to the steering Column? Viton tipped needle and seat? Given a choice which is better the OF or the LF? Both are in about the same condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Stan Howe is the guru about these Carb. Contact him he published a lot info in forum.

Mario

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:47 am:

http://www.strombergof.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Stan's THE MAN, he's rebuilt many for me. I know I've funded his retirement account, but he does beautiful work! When he's done it will not only look like new, but actually run better new, as he has a lot of trick modifications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Actually Bob, you've funded my 15 year old's wardrobe, which for a 15 year old can be pretty extensive and expensive. Prom dresses, volleyball shoes, running shoes, basketball shoes, cowgirl boots, motorcycle boots, cool shooting glasses, Homecoming Princess dresses, fiddle camp T shirts, Henry Rifle T shirts, Pink Caps that say, "I shoot a Henry," CJ2A caps, "If it's not a Willys it's not a Jeep! T shirts, etc., etc. Worth every dime! Every dime!

In answer to the question. The OF was the improved carburetor that Stromberg designed to replace the LF. I don't think they would have done that if they didn't think it was better.

BTW, your OF is the last design they made before going to the RF in 1925/6. The RF was the last design for the Model T, it's the aluminum one.

Nobody I know is making those steering column choke mechanisms. There are several different designs of those, too. I have only seen one brass one, wish I had bought it and had some cast but there are no more hours in my life for projects.

I did have the U & J choke pull cast, Mike Lebsack actually had them done, they are pretty wonderful and work OK on the OF. They say U & J on them but the logo can be ground off. There are pictures on the web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Also: That looks like a nice OF. They are hard to find that have not been messed with and missing parts.

There are a couple just listed on ebay that don't look too bad at first glance but are missing parts. By the time you buy a throttle arm for $50 and a choke cable holder for $35 and a choke shaft for $30 and a choke disk for $10 and a high speed needle for $35 and a needle and seat conversion set for $55 you are going to have a lot of money in them. The choke disk has been soldered in one of them, etc.

I think whoever keeps listing them looks at my web site and takes the prices for restored carburetors; knocks a couple hundred bucks off and lists them for that.

Not trying to kill anybody sales here, just trying to make people aware of what a few missing parts can add up to and give a head's up.

I have had to stop a few people from taking photos off my web site and using them on ebay listings, one guy kept listing my carbs and in fine print saying "This is what my carburetor will look like after you restore it." Ebay finally booted him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

As a hoarder I have had these for years, the LF is in a little better condition than the OF,I think. The needle on the OF has a ring worn in it, but everything else looks good to my untrained eye. I'm going to try to fabricate a replacement needle with a Viton tip and use the old seat. All the threads look good on both carbs and it appears everything moves as it should without any slop. I'm retired with limited hobby funds or I send for rebuild. Thanks for your time and replies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Bob, Im retired and also have very limited fixed income funds. But I have found out on some things it is better to chose your battles. Stan has my OF as we speak. I have read several times on the forum where someone tried to do a rebuild themselves, and after a couple tries got it to run OK, but had spent as much by then as having Stan build it. You are the only one who knows your level of mechanical ability, But it is something to think about. Submitted with respect, Donnie Brown ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Sell the LF, and with the proceeds, send the other to Stan for a rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Sell them both and keep your Ford a Ford.

Just thought I'd remain in line with the current opinions of others on the forum. :-)

Seems "improvements" are taking a big hit on the jaw the last few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Ed has the right idea, sell the LF and get the OF working. I got my OF working perfectly with some advice and parts from Stan, and he is right in stating that after you have tried an OF, you will never think about an NH again. Good luck : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

2X the sell the LF and get better parts from Stan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Spent a little time a the lathe and came up with this. The Viton tip is more blunt hoping it will seal off with the old seat. Cutting the threads was slow, but a lot of fun. The threads are .160 X 32 TPI. The needle is from a Holly double pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 01:06 am:

Stock threads are standard 8/32.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration