Old photo - New Fords in Stockholm, Sweden 1924

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old photo - New Fords in Stockholm, Sweden 1924
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:30 am:

350 new cars were transported from the Copenhagen factory to Stockholm in each trip by the converted ex German WW1 coastal defense ships Aegir and Odin.

Hk

Looks like all cars from Copenhagen got nickeled shells by then and the Touring was the most popular model by far :-)

(Message edited by Roger K on November 16, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:41 am:

The couple at the bottom of the pic are having trouble deciding which one they want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Dave, I bet they'll pick the black one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Those look like 1926 or 27 Fords, and that would date the photo later than 1924.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Looking closer I also think they look a lot like '26:s, Jim, but the photo was dated to 1924 in an article in the Swedish issue of Ford Times in 1964 where 60 years of Ford (and 40 years of a Ford owned import company) in Sweden was celebrated. It's very possible it was misdated.

One thing points in the 1924 direction - the transports from Copenhagen to Stockholm started with the new Ford owned import company in 1924, and the banner on the ship looks like "FORD TRANSPORT I" indicates it may have been the maiden trip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

"Don't believe everything you read." I think all of us have found mis-information in print.

Here is one of my favorites:

I myself have put my foot in my mouth here on the Forum more times than I like to admit. I always say "To air is Human"

Rich :0(%)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

It certainly has a ford steering box and wheel.
Looks like a T chassis.
The driver's door is open, maybe a Canadian car?
Rear of body is weird.
Could it be an aftermarket body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Unless Ford put cowl vents on 24 Touring cars, those are 26s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Yep. The text "Ford transport" was likely painted on sheet metal and permanent advertising for the transports. There are wikipedia articles about the transport ships that were used:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin-class_coastal_defense_ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_%C3%84gir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Odin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Hunt on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Are these Canadian or English cars assembled in Copenhagen. At that time, Sweden still drove on the left, therefore RHD Cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:06 am:

James, in 1925-27 the Copenhagen factory assembled cars with english made Drop Frame chassis and fenders and USA made engines. Even though Sweden drove on the left, almost all cars that were sold here were LHD.
Later on Ford built an assembly plant in Stockholm too, but it wasn't operative until 1931 when Model T's were history.

I don't think I know the real reason why so few liked RHD cars here? I've seen discussions in 1920's motor magazines discussing the need for having full control over the left side of the car since the roads were narrow and curvy - driving into a ditch was much more of a a concern than the need for a good view when passing other cars, since there were so few other cars.

But later on after WW2 - with better roads and more cars - RHD would certainly have made more sense until the change to driving on the RH side in september 1967.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:49 am:

This is an interesting explanation from Roger regarding RH/LH driving in Sweden.
The earliest Model A known in the world [ A 189 & not A1 given to Edison] was sent to Sweden in early '28 as LHD. A few years ago it went to the USA but I always wondered why it was not RHD . Recent photos I saw of it showed it had mounting holes for a RH tailamp, so probably the cars there had the RH rear lamp even if LHD.
An early A known in Canada also has the same set up, as it may have been used in one of the RHD provinces.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration