Cold starting issues

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cold starting issues
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Melchert on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Hi all, first time posting here although I have been reading and learning, old pictures are great. Thank you all for the education on model Ts! Have been around them for sometime but never worked on one myself until a few years ago when my B/L asked me to look at his dads/now his 1924 somewhat pieced together model T Fordor made into a pickup I think?? I have it running after 30 years of setting. But I have starting issues when cold, if I jack up the rear it will start right up. The linkage is worn and maybe I am not adjusting the bands correctly or is this typical with the T. After it is warm it starts great. It does this even at 70 degrees F.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

The first thing that comes to mind: What weight oil are you running in the engine?

Too heavy a weight oil will give exactly the symptoms you describe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

If you leave the parking brake engaged (pulled back) overnight, try leaving the lever in high (all the way forward) and chocking a front wheel instead. Leaving the lever in high will keep the oil squeezed out from between the clutch plates, allowing them to slip better on the next cold start.

Remember to pull the lever back to set the emergency brake just before you start it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Oldie but Goodie;
Taking your T out of mothballs:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Melchert on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Thanks for all the advice I will give them a shot, and the oil is the one that may be causing the majority of the issue, its 10w 40 diesel as it has some zinc left in it. I thought it would be better as the motor has wear. What would be the best weight? I just put a new Berg radiator in it, so no over heating issues anymore very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

I was just reading a post from a few years back by Fred Houston. He said he uses 10W-30. Of course, he's in Tulsa. Up where you are in the frozen tundra maybe you want something lighter for winter like 5W-30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Melchert on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Is anyone using 5w 30? It has some gear noise off the front maybe in the generator area. I don't think it will be driven to much this winter as there is much left to do to get it somewhat road worthy but I would like it to start and be able to move with out towing it around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

Mike,

I use 10-30 oil.

When I had the unrebuilt motor in my 19 I always jacked up a rear wheel when it was cold and only started it with the crank.
Many times I would get a free start. Once warm I didn't use the Jack.

After I changed the motor it was almost impossible to use the crank because it is tight so I added a starter. I still use the jack when it is cold to make it easier.

Also I leave the brake handle forward when in the garage so the oil is squeezed from between the clutch disks. It seems to help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Mike

I use 5W30 here in Florida and have since I acquired my 15 touring. It can get into the thirties here occasionally (Brrrrrrr) and no problems starting.

I get only a little creep crank starting without the parking brake engaged.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration