Non Ford Ignition Coil - ID Help?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Non Ford Ignition Coil - ID Help?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Greetings Most Learned Coil Gurus,

As I was clearing some space on the workbench I "reminded" myself of this non-Ford coil. Using the Fun Projects coil beeper and jumpers I found that the windings seem okay. The wooden case is sound. My question is: Was this coil used for a stationary engine, a vehicle or what? Thank you for your time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Contact Randall Anderson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Looks like a stationary engine coil (or could be used in a railroad motor car with a one cylinder engine). That's a very interesting coil points set up though! Notice the ratchet wheel. Never seen anything like that, but then I've lead a sheltered life! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

I've seen the ratchet wheel used by Heinze or Jacobson-Brandow or ..... I'm not sure, somebody. That is why this post is here, to find out what I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

David is correct. Stationary engine coil made by Heinze around 1906-7. An identical top and points setup was used by Heinze for coils used on the Ford Models N and R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

There was a discussion on another site about: "Splitdorf coils that have thumb adjustable spark intensifiers, if you're pulling a hill and it starts to miss, you give them another click or two and the miss goes away." Is this setup similar to that?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

No; the Split coil uses a Bogert hammer as an armature to act on the contact point carrier. The Heinze lower contact is integral with the armature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Thank you, David and R.V.. As I do not need this coil (my Taylor Model C has a WICO EK) I will try to direct it to someone who can make use of it.

I Really value the accumulated knowledge on this forum. As has been said so many times before: "No one of us is as smart as all of us together." Thank you, again. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Bill, I could use that for one of my early hit/miss engines. Send me an e-mail if you can and we can talk.
Thanks,
Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 03:08 am:

I would have to take it apart to measure the internal diameter of the coil.

Sorry. I have been resisting that one for too long.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration