What year coupe had wood around rear window?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year coupe had wood around rear window?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin Baker on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I have a 1926 coupe that does not have wood around rear window and I have a previously hotroded 1926 or 1927 body only that has wood around rear windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

My '24 coupe has wood around the rear window and a '25 also will have wood there. Earlier coupes will have wood around the rear window. I do not know about the Improved cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

My late 27 Coupe has wood around the rear window Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

My early 26 coupe does not have wood.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

-Austin-
Perhaps some clarification? My '25 Coupe has a steel frame to secure the glass. There is wood reinforcement vertically and horizontally around that steel frame, which anchors into that wood. Does that help? Take a look at the drawings at www.fordwood.com for an illustration.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

This is from the Fordwood site, specific to the '26 Coupe. Marv
http://www.fordwood.com/images/cpe26new.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

FWIW, my coupe, 13,606,xxx has wood similar to the Fordwood illustration. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

My '26 coupe, manufactured in March of 1926, did not have wood around the rear window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

I've had both year coupes and it has been a mixture of some with wood and others without.
Similarly, the 1/4 windows followed the same theme.
My next build does have wood, however I have had folded all the sheet metal to install for a wood free rear and 1/4 window frames setup.
Some of those wood kits are getting a little spendy.
Last roof wood kit I had cost me hours in fitting it since it was not manufactured right.
I ended up receiving a refund from the Seller and told to keep the kit.
Fortunately, with a lot of effort I got it to work. Was tough as I don't posses good carpentry skills and hate wood work too boot...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

When I was doing the research for the "Paint" article that wrote for the Vintage Ford some years ago, I picked up on why the 1926 encoded cars had more steel around the side and rear windows than did the 1927 CPA's.

The 1926 enclosed cars, with the exception of the Fordor sedan, used all steel bodies because Ford had started using an oven bake enamel. The bodies had to be made of steel in order to withstand the high temperatures needed to bake the enamel. After baking and cooling, the top wood and seat frames were installed.

With the introduction of nitrocellulose or Pyroxylin paints, high temperature baking of the body was not required. As an economy measure the amount of steel in the enclose car bodies around the side and rear windows was reduced, and wood was substituted in its place. Consequently, the 1927 bodies had more wood in them than the 1926 cars did.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

1927 with wood around the window.

TT

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration