What is this Pikes Peak Model T accessory?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is this Pikes Peak Model T accessory?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Ward Durst on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

This Model T part is now listed on Ebay, but what exactly is this and what was it for. Just curious...there is no information on the auction site. Just that it was a Model T part.Pikes's Peak Pedal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

Brake pedal. Pike Peak external contracting brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

I'm no expert, but it looks like a brake pedal for auxiliary brakes on a 1926/27 Model T. I've never heard of them, but apparently it's for "Pikes Peak" brand brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Looks exactly like a Rocky Mountain brake pedal for a 26-27. Except the name says Pikes Peak.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

I think another poster here is going to be using one on his speedster build. There was a thread with pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

This pedal does not have cams to activate internal transmission brake. That is the reason I sold rather than use the one I had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

I have one on my 26 roadster with Rocky Mountain breaks it works great never had any problems with it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Warren,
This has been discussed here from time to time, but to cover it for those who missed it:

Other auxiliary brakes are also a a absent the cams, Bennetts for example. Some folks don't like it and, like you, don't use the replacement pedal.

Others (me for example) believe the auxiliary brake designers knew what they were doing. The logic, I think, is that if the internal brake is adjusted just a little too tight it will do all the braking and the outside brakes none. If the internal brake is adjusted just a little too loose it will have no effect. Keeping it adjusted just right would require frequent adjusting and is simply not worth the trouble.

I'm sure others will disagree with my comments. I have Bennetts on my TT and there is no internal brake band in the transmission. It would be of no use. I've never driven a T with both internal and outside brakes in use, but I've never been disappointed with the set-up I have.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

I agree with Henry P on this. I would not use the planetary brake with the outside brakes because the risk is too high of a failure where the two systems work against each other. It happened to someone I met about 40 years ago, and I have been against the idea ever since.
I believe that the Pikes Peak pedal was available back in the late '20s. But I also know that several variations of them have been reproduced in more recent years. Reproductions have been made both with and without the cams for the transmission brake. As said, I prefer them without. I think the one pictured above is a reproduction. No harm in that. Good (properly set up) brakes are a good thing.
My boat-tail has original era Bennett Brakes, the coupe has modern Rocky Mountain Brakes. Both work great, except the coupe brakes do not work well in reverse. On hills, I use the totally independent hand brake.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

Older post on Pikes Peak, was a brand of outside brake back then. Repops of the pedal have been made.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/523346.html?1425962868

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

I believe I have a repop small pedal one. No cam on it either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

From the earlier threads and research. I believe there is a original pedal with shaft and no cam that came with the original brake setup, a pedal with shaft and cam, that may be original or repro, and like mine a repro pad that was to be welded to a stock pedal, or that is the way that repro pedal assembly was made. Im going to use my pedal on the speedster project in an unusual way. It will be a 4th pedal in the floor. I have a special bracket that places it next to the stock ford pedal. That way the Ford pedals work as original and my 4th pedal that operates my AC outside brakes only works them. I had my original AC brakes setup that way on a 21 touring I used to have and it worked great. I liked it that way because I had two complete seperate "stand alone" brake systems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 06:18 am:

In this thread Peter Kable describes the twin brake pedal setup on his KampKar with RHD:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/474045.html?1409230051

hh

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration