The new telephone books are here!-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The new telephone books are here!-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:13 am:

Not really, but what could it be?

Non-Ford but interesting.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:15 am:

Brush? Wooden front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:25 am:

I'm not much of a horse person, but what is that stringy stuff hanging down from the bellies of the horses ? It looks too uniform in length to be hair.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:38 am:

Dick -

Those are fly nets on the horses. Helps keep biting flies off the horses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:45 am:

Thanks for the horse lesson, Erik. Learn something new every day.

Not only did I learn that there is such a thing as a horse net, but probably there is somebody even older than me on this forum !

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 02:01 am:

Yep, looks like a Brush, about a 1912 model by the fenders, radiator shroud & body.
Fun car, engine runs counter-clockwise so you can crank it safely with the right hand (truth, it's a feature Brush advertised!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 04:29 am:

The buggies and the motor car are loaded up with something to deliver which is ever so much more exciting, meaningful, and ultimately useful than a mere telephone directory.

They are carrying the newest issue of THE SEARS AND ROEBUCK MAIL ORDER CATALOGUE!!!!! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 04:43 am:

Bill H., I was thinking of the exact same thing, and those telephone books, would be more of a pamphlet size back then. Not everyone had telephones either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 04:58 am:

Sears catalog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 06:45 am:

Pizza delivery to a very large party

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 07:27 am:

I remember my dad and older brother delivering phone books in the late 50s. I don't recall exactly what it paid but it was something like five or ten cents each. Even back then the white and yellow pages were separate books and about twice or more the thickness of the books in the picture. It was also larger print though. I remember the back of the 57 Plymouth station wagon being full of them on several occasions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 07:36 am:

For the younger crowd; That was when telephone numbers had letter prefixes and phones had a rotary dial. :-) Also, the postal code only had two digits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Our home phone number was PL-29824.
It was a party line and boy was that fun!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:51 am:

Ken, it was also called a zone number. It was one or two digits in large cities and preceded the state abbreviation. I suspect that small towns didn't even have them. The whole town was in the same postal zone. My address now is Kirkwood, MO 63122 - back then it would have been be Kirkwood 22, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I was in the local cell phone store getting a charger about a week ago. A lady about my age was telling the 20 something clerk about the party line her family had when she was a kid. She explained how you had to listen for a minute when you picked up the phone to be sure it wasn't already in use.

I chimed in with, "Don't forget to explain the one ring, two ring, three ring system that let you know if an incoming call was for you or your neighbor." She laughed. The 20 something just looked confused. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:02 am:

This thread is taking me back. You also didn't dial long distance calls. If I wanted to call someone in Chicago, I called the operator and told her (always a "her") I wanted to make a long distance call. I then specified station-to-station (I would talk with whoever answered) or person-to-person (more expensive, but if the person I was calling wasn't there, there was no charge).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I remember Dad complaining about having to pay extra for a private line (He was a state trooper) the state paid for the installation and first month's bill but after that it was your bill to pay, then Dad taught us how to answer the phone on his days off. "I'm sorry he is out but I will have him call you when he comes in" and we were not allowed to elaborate. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:33 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aIf1YnbbU :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:34 am:

The leaned-back top in the center of the photo looks identical to the top on Gary Griffin's Model N in the thread with the photos from Camerons' swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Long distance charges. This brings up a comparatively new question. I believe many of us have a cell phone service that allows calling anywhere in the lower 48 states with no extra charge (our family does). Doesn't this fact pretty much eliminate the need for companies to spend money on expensive 800 toll free numbers? There is no toll. It also pretty much eliminates the "person to person" calls since it makes no difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:44 am:

At the time that photo was taken the phone numbers were 3 digits in towns and smaller cities. No postal codes yet. In the forties we had a crank phone (with batteries) and a phone call for us was 3 long, 2 short. Party lines were handy for operators to notify every one with one call of school closings, or other important messages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Henry, that's fine for people who do all their calling on cell phones. I have a cell phone, but prefer to use the home phone for most calls. (I don't hear well and can understand people better on the land line.) Perhaps when your "many of us" eventually changes to "all of us," it will make more sense.

Related to cell phones... I was at a car show once with the T and was heading home when I remembered that there was something about my cell phone that I wanted to discuss at the AT&T store. It was on the way home, so I swung by. It was a Sunday afternoon and there were no customers in the store or other cars on the parking lot. I parked in front of the large plate glass window and walked inside. Someone asked how they could help me. I held up the phone, pointed to the car and said, "I can't get this thing to Bluetooth with the car." Their faces for the next second or two were priceless... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Mom and Dad still have the same phone number they got in 1959. We had a party line into the 60's but had our own ring, I think it was two or three longs and a short or something like that. Calling someone on the same line was fun. Ring their number, let ring, hangup, then pick up and hope there was someone there.
While Portland Oregon may have had postal codes in the address, until Zip came along, none of the small city's did.
If you have a land line as I am sure most all company's still do, the 1-800 is still needed and used. Not all cell phone plans allow you to call all numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:21 am:

I hear you Dick (pardon the pun :-)). We still have a "home phone" too, although I often wonder why. Like you, I can hear better on it, but even our home phone service is now internet based. It comes in on the same coaxial cable as TV signal and Internet access. The billing arrangement is pretty much the same as our cell phones, unlimited use to the lower 48.

If you're paying individual call charges I suggest you do a little market research and see if you can save some money. We also had AT&T telephone service. A few years ago they really pi**ed me off trying to charge me for 2 conference calls I didn't make. So, I did a little research. I now have a cable/internet/telephone service from one provider that costs me about $100 less per month than I was paying for the same services when I had AT&T telephone service.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Judging by the sly smile on the man right behind that stack of papers, perhaps they're delivering "The Dearborn Independent" :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration