OT - Makes and color cars in Kearney Nebraska area, July 1909

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Makes and color cars in Kearney Nebraska area, July 1909
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Kearney NE was the sixth most populated city in Nebraska in 1910. However, unlike neighboring Kansas towns, it appears there were many less Ford cars. I suspect one of the reasons was that Kansas City had a Ford Branch, while Nebraska Ford sales were controlled by a private dealer in Omaha by the name of Deright. While Deright advertised Ford, they also sold Stoddard Dayton and appeared to promote Stoddard much more aggressively than Ford.

Only three Fords in the Kearney area as of late July 1909 seems surprisingly low to me. However, Ford would open a branch in Omaha, and take the Ford dealership away from Deright by 1910. I thought the car colors were interesting, with many red, green, blue, gray, black and maroon cars, and one orange Buick:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Neat find! Very interesting.
Thank you Rob for sharing this.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

I have a 1907 1-cyl REO. It has a poor restoration done many years ago (1930's?). It is black with red chassis. A REO friend of mine said he never saw any original factory literature that said what colors were available...at least in the 1905-07 timeframe. Your chart is interesting in that it lists the 1-cyl cars as "black" and most 2-cyl as "maroon". I have seen an original 2-cyl with a maroon body. Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Thanks guys. On occasion I've found cars identified with colors not listed for a make and model. This is the second or third time for "black" Model N.

Norfolk, Nebraska was in the 7th spot, just behind Kearney in population rank in 1910. This list of 1908 Norfolk cars also shows little Ford impact, with only one of twenty two cars being a Ford. Unfortunately, color is not included:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 09:15 am:

A lot of the early cars came with a factory color that was standard for a particular model but most of the higher price cars could be obtained in any color the purchaser requested for an additional cost. My 1910 Chalmers Touring came stock in what was described as Chalmers Blue which is a fairly dark blue. The sales brochure however says it was available in any color specified by the purchaser at additional cost. I can't believe that even Ford dealers would decline to repaint a car for delivery to a purchase to make a sale and if that is true I can't understand why anyone would object to the color of a car. It may not appeal to a purist but I don't think it makes a car any less period correct since repainting cars to suit the taste of the purchaser was in all probability a "period" option.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration