How do you time the engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How do you time the engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john tattersall on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 06:18 pm:

I have a 26 coupe ,which has a True Fire ignition the timing is off. I'm getting a K R W timing gear locator, where can I get directions on how to use this to time the engine ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

John I believe that your KRW locator is used for installing the timing gear cover on to the engine. The locator makes sure that the cover is in alignment with the cam shaft so that when the commutator brush rotates inside of the cover it is not out of round causing a timing problem. It is slid over the cam shaft and fits in the groove where the commutator cover fits and holds the cover in alignment while it is bolted to the block. Is the picture below the tool you are talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

John, here are Truefire timing instructions right from Ed Bittner. One word of caution though, all of this work is for nothing if your spark lever and/or timer rod has a lot of wear and is sloppy. Repairs should be made first to ensure everything is tight from the top end right to the bottom end.

Regards,
Garnet

1. Set the Spark Rod all the way to Retard or at the top.

2. Remove all four spark plug wires.

3. Remove all four spark plugs.

4. Attach plug wires back to plugs and set each of them on the head, turn on the ignition key.

5. One person now has to slowly turn the crank, by hand, just until the #1 and #4 plugs start firing, while a second person peaks in the spark plug hole with a small pen light to note the position of the piston. If the piston has just reached Top Dead Center and started down about 1/8th inch, you are good to go and can turn off the ignition key, put the plugs back in and attach the wires.

Alignment Procedure (when the above did not indicate alignment)

6. Remove the Spark Rod from the Timer and rotate the Timer Connection about 1/2 inch closer to the Passenger Side or Counter Clockwise looking from the Front.

7. One person has to turn the crank, by hand, while a second person peaks in the spark plug hole with a small pen light to note the position of the piston. Stop turning the crank when the #1 piston has just reached Top Dead Center and started down about 1/8th inch.

8. Slowly move the Timer Connection toward the Driver's Side or Clockwise from the Front. Stop when the buzz noise starts.

9. Bend the Spark Rod until it will go back in the Timer Connection without moving the timer position.

10. Repeat the Test Procedure to insure the setting is correct. Wear in the linkage may move that setting several degrees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Don't be surprised if you have to make the spark rod longer to get the Truefire into correct timing.

Here is a picture from elsewhere on the forum showing where the timer often ends up after following the above procedure. Mine came out similar to the pic above, I ended up making my own, longer rod from rod stock.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

I'm still workin on my timing with new Surefire. Had to cut and re thread for a turn buckle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I agree that all slop between the lever and the timer should be eliminated, and I agree with some of the steps listed above. But you only need to remove the #1 plug, and I disagree with the notion that #1 and #4 fire at the same time. They don't.

Here's my procedure. It calls for removing only plug #1, and can easily be done by one person working alone. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Steve, they're talking about the True Fire system. #1 and #4 do fire at the same time with it. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john tattersall on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 06:41 am:

after 5 years of owning my 26 with no major problems I think the True Fire unit is not working . With all the help from members , I see that I'm only getting spark on # 2 plug. How to I contact Bittner Engineering?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 09:14 am:

I don't see a phone number or email address, but maybe send a letter to the address on their website?

http://www.true-fire.com/

The major vendors also carry the Truefire, perhaps one of them can provide better contact information. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration