OT - Ford didn't just build cars in the early days, they won pennants:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Ford didn't just build cars in the early days, they won pennants:
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 09:26 am:

By 1907, Ford wasn't only the largest automaker in the world, they were also the "big boys" in the baseball auto league, beating Packard and Northern below:

After winning the pennant, an ad for the team to report for pictures (above). The story and picture of the trophy (below):

From the trophy article:

Now, if I could just find a team photo. Or a picture of the "big six" delivery wagon.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:44 am:

It would be nice to see or even hear about the Big Six delivery wagon!! Could it be it was a one off people hauler on a K chassis? What about that race,are we going to have to spot your car because of age?? Bud,Burning corn!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:59 am:

No wonder Ford did so well. They likely had a bigger and tougher pool of potential players to choose from. It would be nice to know what happened to the trophy.

(Message edited by 404_not_found on November 20, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

I do not know which is which,but maybe it's in the museume?? I hate the thought of rain at the OCF,but it's a good time to go in and look? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Dave,
This April 1907 article claims Ford had 315 employees. Northern is credited with 200-250 in a new plant, but it doesn't say how many they already employee. Packard is listed with over 1400 employees. I don't know if "Ford Manufacturing Company" employees were inluded with Ford Mo. Co. on the team, but do know Dodge Bros. had their own team.

I couldn't find a photo of the trophy, however this may be better. It looks like a photo of the team, and the "Ford six delivery wagon."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

They must have played all day games!! Too bad Ford did not offer a truck with that power! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

My fault Rob. I didn't notice it was 1907. I visualized it being later. "You, you and you, get off that assembly line, I have a real job for you to do".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Maybe there was more than one "delivery wagon". This photo sows the "six cylinder plant," formerly home of Ford Manufacturing at 773 Bellvue. I thought the car on the right was a Model N, R or S converted into a truck. However, after looking more closely, the radiator looks more like the shape of a K radiator. Also, the K on the left looks as though it is backed up to the dock, and may also have a truck bed. A K may be seen in the door, and a K frame and rear end outside at the far left of the photo:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Rob,I think your right but that sure is a small box for that much power!! I think Olds had a baseball team as late as 1996?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Bud, I saw articles about the 1908 auto league, and Ford was at about .500. I don't know how long they continued to field a team. There was also a winter bowling league. I suppose in the days before TV, social media and other distractions, clubs, local sports teams, and other organizations were more common.

I found this initial list of the Auto League teams. A good list of "who's who" in the Motor City:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 11:59 am:

The Ford team could have any bat they wanted as long as it was painted black! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Rob,It would be my guess that With the depression,harry bennet,and the early union talk ?? We were lucky here and only got maybe 3" of snow but others south were not so lucky!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Working through "Detroit News" articles. I did find where the trophy ended up following the 1907 season, at a local fan's house:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

A photo of the team on eBay:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration