Would 11 gage ford steel be as strong as mild steel?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Would 11 gage ford steel be as strong as mild steel?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin Baker on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Would 11 gage ford steel be as strong as 11 gage mild steel? Or do I need to go thicker for making the 1926 coupe inside tire mount bracing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:14 am:

I would use .125" 4130 steel rather than mild steel. The Ford steel of most of the Model T era was a vanadium steel. Mild steel will be too soft and pliable to replace Ford steel of the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

No vanadium in the bodies. It was all cold rolled low carbon steel. (Including the brackets.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

I cut a piece of 1.5" by 1.5" by 0.125" thick square tubing to match the contour of the panel. Then rolled a piece of 1/8 by 4" wide flat stock to fit the contour of the panel (& the cut tubing). welded box to plate and attached to top cross member. Seems to be staying put. respectfully, jb

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration