OT Langs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Langs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

I'm somewhat new to the T world and have never ordered anything from any of the suppliers before. Now that winter's here it's time to complete a few projects on my 25 Tudur. To make a long story short I ordered the parts I needed from Langs on Monday and they arrived today (Thursday)not bad since I live 3,000 miles away.

I was really pleased with their packaging and quick service; of greater importance to me was the quality of the items and parts, also there were no surprises such as the items not living up to the description or matching the photo on their website.

Is the camaraderie and or brotherhood in the T world, whether it be club, forum or suppler be as good as it seems? I may be wrong, but I think those who love T's, as well as other old cars, share old fashion values as well.

So far this hobby has proven to be most enjoyable. Rose colored glasses?????

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

We are spoiled with our parts suppliers. I ordered parts from Snyders on Monday and received them here in georgia today. I really don't know how they do it. But I'm glad they do. I can make the car show Saturday now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I just bought my first Model T at the beginning of October. I can usually find enough stuff to order from Lang's every few weeks. I get my order within a few days even to Arizona. I asked Lang's for one of their free gasket posters which they sent with my first order. Thanks.
Lang's has a place on their on-line catalog to ask questions about parts. They get back to you quickly and are very knowledgeable about the parts and the way model T's are built.
I Have bought a few things from Snyder's, but they seem to have more Model A parts than T parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Calvin... I agree!

Dan... Nice Touring! I bought my 25 Tuder in August.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Charles, I think you be pleased with parts and service from any of the suppliers except the one in NW New York state that gets bad reviews on here on a regular basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:44 am:

What Terry said. In addition to Lang's, I get parts from Birdhaven, Bob's, and Chaffin's, and have never had a bad experience with any of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:09 am:

Charles,
living down-under is wonderful, but having to purchase parts from the USofA does have its challenges. However, like Steve just said, I have dealt with several different vendors over the years, with NO problems......Oh, OK, one or two that were very quickly corrected so they were'nt really problems. The cost of shipping is the only drawback as I find the price of parts is usually very reasonable. BUT it still pays to shop around, no matter how good the vendors reputation is.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:16 am:

We have an awesome group of folks who support our hobby. You are not mistaken Charles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:24 am:

The Model T community is thoroughly blessed with the best parts suppliers in the world. _Some are Mom & Pop shops and one is a great, big Mom & Pop shop headed up by a gentleman by the name of Don Lang. _I tend to default toward Lang's because, among other reasons, their inventory is huge and their catalog, comprehensive. _In addition, they have at least one person on staff who specializes in dispensing how-to advice over the phone, for free, on a daily basis. _I should also mention the Langs are as honest as an Alaskan day is long.

Mac's and Snyder's also have wonderfully comprehensive and well illustrated catalogs, but in my humble opinion, those companies have more of a corporate feel and while I do order some stuff from them based on the principle that more healthy suppliers are better than fewer, I generally stick with the Mom & Pop outfits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 03:16 am:

Welcome to the affliction...er I mean hobby, many of these folks here can attest how the Model T is very good at multiplication. You've got a Tudoor, won't be long before you want to know what it's like to drive and or own a coupe or touring and then you'll want another one to avoid the look of "book ends" in your garage. :-)

I started my Model T back in 1978 and I dealt exclusively with Don Snyder senior (we were both members of AMICA). I bought everything COD blue label because I wanted it as fast as I could get my hands on it. My goal was to get my car done in a year...would've made it too if I hadn't done something really stupid...I got married. Then everything with working on the car went to hell and money was needed elsewhere.

Now that I'm retired (sort of), I've got plenty of time on my hands and I thought I'd renew my Snyder's acquaintance again...but things didn't work out so well and now I deal exclusively with Lang's.

Usually you'll find all of the parts vendors selling each others products, for example, those accessory tail light brackets that hang off the rear top iron on tourings and runabouts...are made by Snyder's...but you'll find them also at Lang's and probably every other vendor's shop as well. Lang's also carries a lot of NOS and "Used" parts along with the new manufactured parts, which I like.

I think Lang's next parts catalog will be better illustrated than this one...just a feeling. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 05:37 am:

Hi Charles, I live, "just down the road", from you. If I remember one of your first post on here, you lived in the Hazel Dell area? I'm in Washougal, near the Skamania County line. I have started using Lang's more often than not, and am very pleased with their packaging and service. I usually order on a Monday Morning, about 7 AM our time, and it has always arrives Wednesday afternoon, at around 2:30 PM, when the post person, delivers my mail. I always use the Post Office Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes, if possible, as it goes by air, and again 2 days and it's here. I'm like a little kid, can't wait for a package.

I am also a "Newbie", this month is the 1 year anniversary, when I made the deal for my 1925 Fordor. A year ago, I didn't even know how to start the T. I have learned so much from this Forum, and have much respect for some very knowledgeable persons, who willingly and freely, give great advice. Also remember, there are no stupid questions

Also, the age group on here is a lot of retired, or semi-retired people, so it is a older group, who understands and respects the Model T cars and trucks. Don't get me wrong, there are also some "youngins", on here who also know their stuff about the old cars, and know more than I ever will. I just finished a steering project, that if it weren't for the help on here, I would have never tried to do the job. There is only so much, the book will tell you. On here, it is a bit more personal and tips are very valuable information, you can't get anywhere else.

Also, there is a fine gentleman, who lives between us basically, who has helped me out, when I have gotten, way over my head, with respect to help with my car, that I feel I cannot ever repay him.

As for the "Rose colored Glasses", after some more time in the hobby, you'll decide that for yourself.

Well,check out my profile,and email me if you care to. Since we might, be getting a few days with no rain, I want to install a new shifter onto my car, and take care of some outside projects, that I can't do in the rain.

Take care,
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 06:24 am:

Charles, Langs, Bob's, Snyder's Chaffin's, Birdhaven, ALL get great remarks here. I have personally ordered from the first three with great results, plus the one in Western NY that gets a bad wrap here (which I have had only three orders in ten years, and mediocre experience).

The Vendors that put the effort in are the great ones to deal with. Most of the T people here and in person are absolutely great to deal with. I have never experienced people that will box up a part I needed and shipped it off either asking for nothing or only to pay for shipping after the fact.

The help here is great, although the subjects tend to drift quick sometimes, but there is usually good advice here that can help you fix up almost anything. The T hobby in general is truly great and very addicting.

Good luck with your project and welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:34 am:

I think the tendency for responses to drift to other subjects may have something to do with the aforementioned elderly demographics. It seems to me that older folks Oh, look! A squirrel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Speaking of catalogs, we are working on our new catalog. It will have a clear photograph of every part we sell so there will be no question about what you are ordering. Should be available in 2016

Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Steve,
Here those are called "Possums"

I have had very good service from Langs and from Chaffins. I usually use those two suppliers.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Charles, I have ordered from most all of the T suppliers from time to time. Langs, Snyders, Mac's, Chaffins, and a few others as you will find out as you work on your T.

You can request a T parts catalogue from them and they usually will send you one.

The catalouges will help you get aquainted with T parts and their differences from year model and and body styles.

Get a Model T Ford service manual to get aquainted with how to work on them and as time goes on you may want to purchase some of the repair mauals that are specific to what your working on. The MTFCA has those along with the vendors above.

I wont make a judgement call on which vendors give the best service. For me they all have their good points and others not so good.

I'm glad there are as many vendors as there are.
And that's a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

No rose colored glasses here Charles, Just tread lightly with questions about oil/waterpumps/additives,other than that a Group I am proud to belong to and if you ever have a question on how something works just ask someone is always here to help. BTW Langs is never OT just call them they are always eager to help. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Steve.....Now that's FUNNY!!!! (And true) LOL

Charles, nice here from you, will email you later.
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Here kitty, kitty. Emma, where's my glasses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Steve, that's the ugliest squirrel that I've ever seen. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

Steve, that's the ugliest squirrel that I've ever seen. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

That's a face only a mother could love.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:11 am:

I met a Gentlemen from Austin, Texas last year and forgot his name.
If he reads this please contact Bill Kerndt at 563-380-6230 or email me at kerndtengineering@gmail.com as I want to look you up when I am in Austin, which is right now!
Thank you very kindly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Hey Bill, is that you? Well I'll be dogged!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:45 am:

How many seniors does it take to change a light bulb? Hey! There's Ice Cream in the Freezer!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 05:38 am:

We are all lucky to have so many good parts suppliers for our model A and T s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Charles, I've been collecting cars since my high school days and let's just say that's been a long time.I got my first T about 2 years ago and have never met a bunch of people more nice, helpful and, fun than the T people in my local chapter and those that I've met on the many tours I've been on. This is to say nothing against any other group or club (I have four other old cars) but not only is there something special about the Model T, but there seems to be something special about the people that collect them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Thanks to all who responded. Nice to hear all of the positive responses, at least I wasn't dreaming. Great to know the T community is all embracing.

Mr.Chaffin, glad to hear that your fine business will be putting out an illustrated catalog. I can't wait to get a copy.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Gee, Marty says "We're Speciaul! Gooooaly!"

And I thought the guy following me in the park with a big net was trying to catch butterflies!

Charles, Welcome aboard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

My cousin next door had a 2000 something Ford truck that he had been waiting a while for some rear end parts he had ordered and was getting frustrated. He told me he just couldn't figure out how I could order any part for a 100 year old car and get them in 2 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

>>>Here kitty, kitty. Emma, where's my glasses?<<<

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration