Which way do you install band rivets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Which way do you install band rivets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Looked at two separate lots of instructions in band boxes today. One sad install rivets running parallel with drum. The other said install across the drum so as not to wear a groove in the drum? I have always leaned toward having them split so they run parallel with the drum but I have seen grooves worn in drums? My engine rebuilder and I differed on our installation method. What way do you install and why???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:11 am:

I was always taught to spread them to the width of the band not the length. I can't find the thread but some folks actually cut the bands leaving a space between 4-5 & 7-8 based on a clocks face. I've never done that but am intrigued by it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:15 am:

I was taught to install them across the drum. This came from a professional T guy with decades of experience, so I went along with it. I do think it's less likely to score the drum than doing it the other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Occasionally brass plated steel rivets have been supplied with band linings. They may account for some grooves?

Trying to use the band for some time after the lining really should have been exchanged may also cause extra wear from the rivets since there isn't any cushioning from the lining when it's worn away and the rivets would then be the main braking agent on the drum..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Installing wood liners necessitates drilling "pilot" hole, countersinking wood on drum side, installing rivit thru lining then spread tangs against metal band..... just the opposite of fabric liners.

Have done 4 sets this way, as per installation instructions, no visible scoring after many miles of service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 11:45 am:

During WW2 and for some years after band sets came with steel rivets. This could be why we see drums with groves in them. The groves do not seem as prevalent on drums that only had brass rivets in the lining. Murray Fahnestock's book "The Model T Ford Owne"r shows the tangs spread across the lining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

I have two thoughts on this.
First, the rivets must be brass. Easy to check with a magnet.
Then, the tangs must be bent right over and pounded well below the surface of the fabric. I use the ball on the back of a ball pein hammer for this. If the rivet then begins to rub on the drum in service, the bands need replacing. The brass rivets will give you some insurance against this, no matter which way the tangs are set. They will not cause damage to the drum, being softer then the casting.

I could be wrong, again!
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

The rivet should come out of the lining, and curve around and head right back in the lining, and then be seated.

That way, the lining will not come off the rivet, and the end of the rivet will be hide in the lining.

And always crossway to the drum.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

I wish I had Herm's riveting press. I purchased one of the riveting hand tools from a vendor. They aren't made to the highest standard of quality but a little patience and they do a pretty good job. Crosswise to the band. You've got the force of the clamp focused on a greater part of the fabric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Here's a simple rivet-spreading tool you can make yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

In nearly forty years of installing bands have I ever seen instructions to install the rivets in line. I would like to know where Warwick read this clearly erroneous instruction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

I install the rivets across the lining, just like Steve Jelf. I like this tool. You squeeze the handles together then you place one jaw against an anvil and smack the other jaw with a hammer. It works great and sinks the rivet tines deep into the lining. https://www.modeltford.com/item/3422RST.aspx

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Is there a reason why the rivets should be set with the tangs across the drum?

The converse would be more beneficial if the linings were worn down to the rivets. The grove in the drum would be narrower!

Just curious.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:56 am:

hanks guys for all the input! Across the band It will be from this day forward! Tony, I will scan the two sets of instructions and post them for reference. Herm, I love that riveting press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

I install them with the tines across the band:
band
They were installed this way when I got the car (the bands were last relined prior to 1954 before I got the car), and seeing as the drums are still in perfect condition, and that I get very good life from the linings, it seems wise to stick with the tried and trusted.

(Message edited by 26tourer on November 22, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration