OT Model T and an EMP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Model T and an EMP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:05 am:

There have been past questions about a Model T electrics surviving an Electromagnetic Pulse (emp) (burst). I came across an article with a list from greatest affected to the least. I would take it from the listing mechanical electromagnetic devises would still be usable. Solid state and digital devices would be useless. Attached is the list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:14 am:

So, you're sayin' that my Model Ts and all four of my HCCTs will still work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:28 am:

I'll do my patriotic duty and salute my Model T as it motors down the driveway after it is commandeered by the military for troop transport after the BIG ONE happens...if I'm a survivor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Kevin makes a good point. The only fully functional cars or trucks on the road would be about 1965 or earlier.

The bad news and the good news: Country takes a major hit. But our T's are finally safe to drive without fear of being hit by somebody talking on a cell phone.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 11:29 am:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: if (or when?) we get hit with "the big one" our cars with maybe 10 gals. of fuel will be basically worthless as we 1.fight for our very survival 2. TRY to find food and fuel once it rapidly runs out and 3.find time to bury all the dead from suicides, fight/killing for subsistence and who knows what from other sources. Our soft society is NOT able to survive without the grid for more than a month in good circumstances let alone civil and terroristic strife. We need to get our heads out of the sand thinking it can't happen here because it certainly can. Just look how fast its accelerating in Europe. Starting to make Hitler look like an amatuer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Remember the big east coast power outage about a decade ago? The gas stations couldn't sell gas from their electric pumps. If this EMP situation happens, could someone please organize a cross country tour? We can use the interstate highways and run on kerosene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Kerosene?

As a "test" I ran a T on a mix of gas and kero, about 50/50. It did run, but was stinky, smoked a tad and had less power.
Around here the kerosene is dispensed from electrically operated pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

The important thing is to lay away some food and to find the nearest neighbor who has a well with a windmill or a stream with clean water. Anything relying on electric power or the internet will be out for a long time. The Amish will have the best chance of survival. They don't rely on modern inventions.

It is also important for our younger people to learn to do math without a calculator and how to write cursive, because our modern means of communication will no longer work. Also have sufficient cash on hand to make transactions without a working ATM. Even the bank records of our accounts will be gone. Even the records of our investments will be lost.

We should all learn how to survive on hunting, fishing and finding natural edible plants. Get a Boy Scout Handbook for instructions.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

This is somewhat OT from this discussion but: What good is cash going to be if the government is non- functional? Our paper money is only as good as the promise from the government to assure it's worth. It's not even based on silver or gold anymore. Coins are not made of silver or gold anymore and are likewise worthless. In the case of a system collapse, and the needs for food, water, and protection are of paramount importance, I suspect that ammunition may become the new barter currency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Doc,
Does that mean I should get another 1,000 rounds of 9mm full metal jacket for my Sig P320, and my wife's new P 938?

The 357sig rounds will also work in my P320 when I use the conversion kit.
They will be harder to use for barter but do a better job of acquiring food and protecting my family from illegals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

I'm only suggesting that common rounds, such as .308 (7.62 NATO), 30-06,.223 (M-16 and AR-15), .40S&W, 9MM, and perhaps .45ACP that work in common firearms available to the public and often used by the police or military will be sought after and have value. They could be used as coinage to barter for food, fuel, water, or other necessities as everyone will be looking for protection. Those of us who reload ammunition have a virtual "printing press". Fuel, such as ethanol, could be produced by fermentation after the stock of fuel that is siphoned out of vehicles or storage tanks is exhausted. There have been a few members of the forum who have driven their T's on E-85 so I suspect that a T would still be useful for transportation or to power equipment much as was done in the early 1900's.
Hopefully, if an EMP were to knock out the grid and our electronic vehicles and factories, they will be able to rapidly become functional again or it will get very scary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

If not on a barter system, service for services or other trades. I'd think that true silver coinage would hold it's value as well as gold or any other precious metal and of course ammunition too.

Ever read any books by James Wesley Rawles? Very informative books on what it might be like after some cataclysmic event takes place. The two I've read "Patriot" and "Liberators" were thoroughly enjoyable books with likable and not so likable characters (I don't usually go in for these types of books though), packed with suspense, excitement, intrigue and maybe a glimpse of what living in such a society would actually be like. He also did some pretty good research on demolition of the "home made" variety. The only thing he left out was how to make gun powder out of sugar and salt, oh well can't cover all the bases I guess.
I was surprised at what a really good read these books were. I couldn't put them down in anticipation of what happens next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

The calibers mentioned should make for good short term currency. Sadly though, I think the long term investor will be trading 7.62x39mm ammo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:09 am:

How many have a minimum of 4 cords of firewood to get through a cold, powerless winter? Or tons of ice to get through what seems to be record breaking heat these last few years in the west/midwest? The real issue here should be STOPPING the threat dead cold where it is, instead of burying our heads in the sand thinking "it's contained"!! Get my point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Back around 1964 my hometown of Dunsmuir was hit by a huge snowstorm that killed the power for a week. The water system was (is) gravity powered & back then we had natural gas (now the town is all run on propane tanks--long story there, but it was caused by a clerical error!), so we hunkered down in one of the summer vacation cabins with gas stove & heat, carried water from the family house (which only had electric stove & heat). The city came to a standstill as the snow plows & etc. ran out of gas, as all the fuel pumps were electric. Finally a huge generator was sent in with snow plows from Redding, and brought to the city municipal barn--which was the old RR roundhouse. Just as they got the generator in the barn, the roof made a cracking sound and caved in on top of the generator (Yes, the roundhouse had survived heavier snows, but that was back in the days when it had steam engines in it, warming the building and melting the snow off the roof). Fortunately the power came back on two days later & we recovered.
So, it doesn't take much to stop modern society & this was in the days before all the solid-state controls!
BTW, that was the end of the roundhouse; no attempt made to save the iconic building from the city's early days (1887 ish)--the bricks were torn down and a metal barn erected on the site. Town lost a lot of other historic buildings too, including the Methodist Church and the modern community building (build by volunteers with concrete bricks, but no one told them to put rebar in while they were stacking them--ooops!).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration