Removing sediment bulb on 1926 coupe?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing sediment bulb on 1926 coupe?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 11:34 am:

I need to remove my gas tank to do some welding on the steering column mount on the firewall of my 1926 coupe.
The sediment bulb is stuck pretty good, I've been adding Gibbs penetrating oil every so often but I can't get a good grip on the bulb without marring it.

Any tricks for removing it?

-Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Mike, if the tank is clean and dry, you could try applying heat to the sediment bowl (only) after all internal parts are removed. You wouldn't want to melt the brass valve or anything else inside the bowl. Do not apply direct heat to the threaded fitting on the tank as it is soldered and riveted to the tank and you don't want to disturb it. TO grip the sediment bowl, wrap an old hand towel or wash cloth around the bowl several times. If you have a large, and I do mean large, pipe wrench with about an 18" to 24" handle and it opens the jaws wide enough to grip the bowl at it biggest part, gently apply pressure. Without heat, there is always the possibility of popping the soldered connection loose from the tank, so be careful. Lacking the suitable size pipe wrench, the alternative would be to grip the sediment bowl (wrapped for protection) in a large bench vise, and turn the tank carefully. Good luck. Most of them aren't that hard to dislodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Terry, thanks for the response. It sounds like it's possible to remove the tank from the cowl with the sediment bulb still on- is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

I would NOT recommend applying heat to the area unless it was not a flame type heat. Use the pipe wrench with rag wrapped. That thread is a pipe thread and is tapered, so once you get it started moving, it should come right out. I had an experience with trying to weld a gas tank. The tank had not been used for years, and I had filled it with water and washed it out. When I applied a torch to it, it exploded! It was enough to cause the tank to jump a few inches in the air! If there had been more fuel or vapors in the tank, I might not be here typing today.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

You CANNOT remove the tank with the sediment bowl attached as the tank comes out from inside. A torch is a No-No in this area, use the 50/50 atf,acetone penetrant and keep trying.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Good Heavens; Please, DO NOT apply a torch to a fuel tank or anything attached to it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

I wasn't planning on it! I'll try the pipe wrench and ATF/acetone and see where it gets me. Thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Hey guys, I agree that using a flame near any fuel tank is risky. It might produce the desired results and it might not, so I withdraw that suggestion. I would try (with the tank in the car) the rag around the sediment bowl and a large pipe wrench. ATF/acetone is probably as good as Kroil, which is one of the better penetrants on the market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Michael,
before the pipe wrench and the ATF/acetone just hammer with a small hammer around the thread part of the tank connection. It will loose the rust.

Andre
belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Madison on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

take like a vibrating engraving pencil and let it vibrate for 4-5 minutes moving it around the bowl should come loose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Is it true that in a 26 the dash has to be removed? My 27 came out fine, my 26 Speedster the dash is fixed and the tank just wont squeeze out. I recall reading another thread where 26 needs the dash moved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

I have removed my dash anyway because I am working on body and paint. It will definitely make it easier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

My sediment bulb was corroded in so well that no amount of penetrant, time or wrenching would remove it. I knew if I applied one more ft lb of torque I would destroy the tank fitting.

The only remaining option was to cut the bulb off close to the tank and slit the remainder with a hacksaw blade (being very careful not to cut into the threads on the tank fitting). Vice grips on the remainder of the bulb unscrewed it easily then.

Its an option of last resort, but it can save the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Thanks everyone!

Penetrating oil and a big pipe wrench worked great.

Free sediment bulb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Glad it worked for you, Michael. Its always worked for me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration