Does anyone know where to buy brass screws with slot tops, not philips heads?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Does anyone know where to buy brass screws with slot tops, not philips heads?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

does anyone know where to buy brass screws with slot tops, not Philips heads?

I need them for the brass sills and the door striker plates so they have to be #8's and #10's..

An internet search is not helping right now, but I will keep looking.

Thank you in advance. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Fastenal,McMaster-Carr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Bob

Send away and get a catalogue for Restoration Supply Co, www.restorationstuff.com.

They are one of the few company that has the old stuff available and are willing to sell by the piece. Many don't appreciate their ala carte pricing, but when you really want something...they always have it or something close enough to use :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Lang's has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

Try Bolt Depot. https://www.boltdepot.com/Wood_screws_Slotted_flat_head_Brass_8.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

Any Ace Hardware store will have them in stock.

http://www.acehardware.com/home/index.jsp?prof=52&prof=52&affcode=185243&cid=PPC :185243&k_clickid=3e9738ad-6d83-e8a9-138a-000018103be1&searchdef=2342237&002=234 2237&005=4208237008&006=2266604359&009=e&011=ace%20hardware&020=637155345

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Greifhahn - Elmwood Park IL on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Bob:
Refer to attached Hillman fastener web site.
Your local True Value Hardware dealer may have these in stock, or they can order for you
Tom
http://wedo.hillmangroup.com/item/assortments-4/brass-machine-screws-assortments /2097

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Bob, try Fastenal or McMaster Carr. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Would you consider supporting the vendors who carry the parts we oftentimes need ?

https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=brass%20screws&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Sorry for the repeat info. There were six replies before I could post! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

I recently needed a single bolt for a project. I bought it at the Orscheln farm supply for 13. Later I was in the local Ace Hardware for something else and checked their price for the same bolt. It was 60. Often it pays to shop around. I realize it was less than a dollar that prompted me to drive an extra couple of blocks to the farm supply, but any price that's 362% higher seems to do that to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

"prompted me to drive an extra couple of blocks"

...a truly frugal person (original) would have saved the gas and walked :-)

(Message edited by adave on November 21, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

You could also ask your local piano tuner, the piano part vendors have these in Oval head & flat head, steel with brass or nickel plate.
No solid brass ones though. Price in #6 & #8 with 1/2 or 3/4" lengths seem to be around $10 for a box of 100 (allowing a little mark up & shipping)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

got mine at lowes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

The blocks are about a quarter mile, so the farm supply is about a half mile past the Ace, or a round trip of a mile. That's about twenty minutes of walking. As we all know, time is money. With the Kansas minimum wage of $7.50 applied, I would have spent $2.42 of my time walking. With gas currently at $1.75 in these parts, the small part of a gallon I used was the thrifty choice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Your local ACE hardware has slot head brass screws. Their larger stores have a decent selection and you will be surprised of some of the other fastners they carry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

$1.75?

Wowzers. Cheapest in town is 2.09 and going to my daughter's place the other day I found gas at $2.03.

I think that the last time I bought gas at $1.75 per gallon I still had a full head of hair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Heads up. Above suggestions are great, and the quality vendors should be no problem. But, take your
magnet. A lot of the "brass" screws, hinges, etc.
now sold at national chains are just brass plated
steel. A bummer when they rust. And, make sure,
the slots are well cut. Often, foreign screws are
of much lower quality. You get what you pay for
here. Been there, done that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Steve, If you ran, it would have been cheaper. If you sprinted, you might have been able to pay yourself the minimum wage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Chaffin's has them too. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

I do not like slotted screws. I doubt many if any man does.

I'm not a model T purist, but I prefer not to have Philips head in certain areas like the sills.

Good to know about the cheaper quality screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Langs have a good range that appear in different places in their catalogue. They have the prefix of BWS (brass wood screw) these are almost impossible to buy in Australia
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:23 am:

Restoration supply would be the last place I would shop. Their mark up is way over the top. Just check their prices, you can find the same things they sell, just google and spend a little time and save a huge amount of your hard earned dollars. Get their catalog go on line and you can find the same merchandise and compare the prices, you will be astounded at the difference in price.

just sayin

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Just a heads up. Many of the STANLEY brand of hinges, hasps...etc say "SOLID BRASS" on the package but they are thinly brass plated steel and almost sure to scratch through where the screws go or when placed in actual service. If you follow brass or copper prices you would know by the price that they could not be solid brass unless they were old stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Lautenschlager on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

try: Spaenaur Inc., Kitchener, Ontario, Canada,N2B 3C3, phone, 519-744-3521 This is a very large industrial supplier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist- New Zealand on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Any quality marine chandler will stock a large range of flat slotted brass screws -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 09:52 am:

I own an old '20s house, along with my Model T's, so I'm always looking for the correct screws for stuff. My local Ace hardware still carries a lot of the oval head slotted screws used on stuff, but the one I've had difficulty finding is the #9 X 1" FH slotted brass wood screws for the hinges in my house. Another one is the #9 X 1/2 RH slotted wood screw that we use on our terminal blocks. I think I've drained the supply in the country on these, and will probably have to have them custom made soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Otis would have made them for you Larry !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

www.blacksmithbolt.com is what I have bookmarked for future purchases. Prices seem good, and they seem to cater towards the antique restoration crowd.

Here is a link to the brass slot head screws: http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store/c/30-Brass-Wood-Screws.aspx

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration